Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was slow at work today so I pulled the car into the shop and pulled the mirrors off the car. (have to pull the door panels due to the connector for the mirrors are behind it.) Havn't even had the car a week and started doing a few mods to it already. Usually not one for appearance mods, but something had to be done with those black mirrors.

Took them over to the bodyshop and had our painter spray them the body colour. Not the best pics due to the lighting in the shop, but you get the picture.

Also pulled the little square GM badges off the doors too... Just not digging them at all.

Looks heaps better with the mirrors painted to match. He had to add 3 extra coats of clear to make them look smooth due to the mirror plastic is rough textured. Said it was easier to just add more clear coat than to **** around sanding down the clear to get it smooth due to the roughness.

·
Banned
44 Posts
Much Much better. I need to speak to the dealership about having mine done. While I have the Granite color, the black mirrors do bother me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GTPGuy82 said:
I imagine a dealership would charge more than say, a regular bodyshop no?

Mike
Depends on how much their labour rate is. It should be reasonably close to the same.

It only cost me 20$ canadian to have them painted. But then again it was under the table and I'm buddies with the painter.

·
Registered
78 Posts
will that paint start commin off, I was going to paint the mirrors on my other car but the dealership said the paint would start commin off in a matter of time??? They said somthin about paint not sticking to the plastic...Is that true or not becouse id love to do my mirrors.

·
Registered
64 Posts
sleepless said:
will that paint start commin off, I was going to paint the mirrors on my other car but the dealership said the paint would start commin off in a matter of time??? They said somthin about paint not sticking to the plastic...Is that true or not becouse id love to do my mirrors.
My mom is a dealer to and thats exactly what she said about the paint coming off because of the plastic. I asked about painting my mirrors a couple of days after i got my g6 and thats what she said to my disappointment.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can't say I'm bothered by the black plastic mirrors so much that I'd paint them. But if GM makes some color-keyed ones in the future, like they did with the Cobalt, I'd probably swap mine out for a set of those bad boys.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sort of like the ones the GTP was supposed to have? I have a brochure at home that shows the GTP with body colored mirrors that looked a lot like the Cobalts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
branderson said:
Sort of like the ones the GTP was supposed to have? I have a brochure at home that shows the GTP with body colored mirrors that looked a lot like the Cobalts.
That would have been sweet if they actually put those on the finished product. :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
I sort of want to paint the middle part only, like on the Malibu.

Too bad, I don't know anyone who has a body shop... sigh...

·
Registered
6 Posts
not to bring suck an old post back, but has anyone else painted just the middle plastic??? I'd like to have that done and I want to get a view of how it would look...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree it looks a lot better.

Whether the paint maintains will depend on how much the plastic expands/contracts with changing temperature. Since the plastic is hard and not very flexible, hopefully it will maintain its shape. The roughness increases the surface area for the base of the paint and should help as well.

Mirrors are most likely not painted since they are areas which get dinged by car doors, rocks and other debris as well as people scraping up against them in parking lots. My GTP is black, so the mirrors don't stick out as much as it would on other colors.

Please keep us informed. It's definitely a change to consider making.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts