Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, seems my car doesn't like me this week-got the steering clunk, my rear door latch broke so my door won't hold shut, and my pano roof broke Yay! anyway, the first two i'm not worried much about(i'll fix them )...but i want my sunroof for the nice weather finally. the front panel on the right side pops up, but the left side is stuck closed. the first panel won't open so none of the panels behind move of course. just wondering if anyone had the same issue and what it took to fix it. i am mechanically inclined but when it comes to sunroofs i have no clue-especially the panoramic. thanks

·
G6ToPLeTBaCK~
29 Posts
dam that sucks man
only problem ive had with mine is that somtimes when i set the sun roof to 0 to close it and then start to do up my windows the sunroof stops and opens back to 4 lol

hope you figure it out

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey guys, seems my car doesn't like me this week-got the steering clunk, my rear door latch broke so my door won't hold shut, and my pano roof broke Yay! anyway, the first two i'm not worried much about(i'll fix them )...but i want my sunroof for the nice weather finally. the front panel on the right side pops up, but the left side is stuck closed. the first panel won't open so none of the panels behind move of course. just wondering if anyone had the same issue and what it took to fix it. i am mechanically inclined but when it comes to sunroofs i have no clue-especially the panoramic. thanks
Hey, I actually have the same exact problem with my Panoramic sunroof. In my case, I had my sunroof open on my way to work one morning (about a month ago) and when I got to work I changed the setting to "0" to close it. The sunroof started closing as usual until it got the front panel starting to come down. It would come down a tiny bit and then stop, go back up, and open back up to setting "2" then stop. It did this many times.

It was supposed to rain later that day so I took it to the dealership and they were able to get the roof closed (i'm not sure how). At that point the sunroof was doing exactly what you described in your post. Opens about a 1/2 inch or so on the passenger side, and stops. Driver's side doesn't move at all.

A few weeks later I took it to another Pontiac Dealership in town and told them to fix it. They called me a little while later saying that they needed to replace the Sunroof Frame at a cost of $1,700 bucks. I told them no thanks and to put my car back together. Cost me $300 just to have them diagnose it. I did happen to find the part on GMpartsdirect.com for about $600 so when I have some time I'm going to try to fix it myself. Although I'm not even sure that's really what the problem is.

Regardless it sucks that it's not working, it was easily my favorite feature of the car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
before you do anything drastic, like spend hundreds of dollars. I would try cleaning the grooves on the frame & glass. Such as vacuuming, using a toothbrush and a bowl of soapy water. After that use some wd-40, lightly. If problem persists, then you know something is jacked up and common sense would say to get it looked at by a well known dealership. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
before you do anything drastic, like spend hundreds of dollars. I would try cleaning the grooves on the frame & glass. Such as vacuuming, using a toothbrush and a bowl of soapy water. After that use some wd-40, lightly. If problem persists, then you know something is jacked up and common sense would say to get it looked at by a well known dealership. Good luck!
The problem is the fact that we can't clean the grooves because the sunroof won't open! I'm planning on taking my entire sunroof apart at some point in the next month or so and will hopefully be able to fix the frame instead of replacing it. I'll post here again if/when I get it fixed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replies. i still haven't had a chance to look at it. i can't really clean or do much because it won't open at all. please post if you take yours apart and fix. i'll let you guys know if i get anything figured out too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'm just thinking, i mean like i said i don't know alot about these things, BUT shouldn't the problem be either mechanicaql in the lift on the left side or electrical not telling it to pop up? i just don't see how the problem could be replacing the whole frame. i would have to think the problem could be fixed in just the area of the issue. does anyone know how to trick the rear 3 panels into opening just to test the rest of the roof. i mean, can i press little switches on the 2nd panel, making it think the 1st panel has moved back into it(while turning the dial to 2)?? hope that makes sense

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same problem that you guy had. I was driving home from school one day n went to go and shut my roof n it would go all the way to the first panel and then start to go back up. I was able to clean out a couple pine needles from the track and got it to shut.

Later that night i tried opening it to see if it was working properly and the one side wouldn't open. Luckily I bought my car from carmax and I had a 5 year warranty. I took it in and about 5 hours later one of the mechanics called n said they are still trying to take my roof apart and it will have to be there a couple days.

They finally got it fix and it cost them about $700 to do it. I only had to pay a $50 deductible.

The problem you are having can be fix im not sure how they did it but it can for a price. The one question I have is what do you guys use to keep the panels running smoothly, what kind of lubricant do you use. Mine is running rough.

I also had the same problem with the roof going from 4 to 0. It starts to close and when it gets to the first panel it opening back up. I just set the switch back to 0 and wait for it to go down. Could this be a sign of future problems?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey... I haven't had a chance to take my sunroof apart yet, however after doing a little research I was able to find and purchase a GM Training DVD from AC Delco: Link Here It's the first link on the page and should say "Panoramic Roof Repair"

I haven't received it yet, but thought you guys might want to know about it. I'm hoping it will at least provide some insight into how the problem could have started and at least educate me a little on how the thing is put together before I start tearing apart my car.

I'm hoping to take the roof apart and not have to replace the frame at all, we'll see though... who knows when I'm going to have time to take the thing apart.

·
Slick Black Pontiac
151 Posts
This thread scares me. My panoramic roof is my favorite feature of the car. I am going to clean out the gunk from all the tracks and stuff today because now I'm worried about it not closing. I did lube it up last summer with a light coating of white lithium grease and that made it run much smoother for a long time but now the grease is looking gritty and dry. I'm gonna clean it out and maybe try something like a dry graphite lubricant.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got mine back

I had the same thing happen to me last week and I just picked up my car from getting it fixed about an hour ago. It was a cable that broke and I had to get a whole new assembly for it. The dealer quoted me $821. You can't just replace the cable apparently. I found a used one for only $300 and they put it in. I have the old one still and can sell parts or the whole thing if anyone is interested. Glass is perfect on it. Anyone know where I can go to sell this let me know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my 06 GTP Pano ! Such a piss off! I got quoted 2000 from the first dealership and the other said i am better off getting the parts off e bay anyone figure out a fix?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.