Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall just registered to ask 1 question.

I have an 08 Chevy Colorado that I just got done bagging out. Im wanting to add a sunroof when I start in the interior(next project) anyway Ive read alot about how these are really bad sun roofs. Id rather ask the people who have them so Im wondering what yall think about them? Im going to be moving to phoenix so if it leaks a little water thats not really a big deal. Im more woried about the noise and the reliability.

So question is. If you were in my shoes would you install the panoramic sunroof?

thanks
Nick

·
Slick Black Pontiac
151 Posts
I've never had any issues with water getting in on my 2005 GT with the Panoramic roof.
In warm weather it is a wonderful sunroof. it opens up really wide and looks cool all stacked up in back.

The major downside is the wind noise. Mine whistles when it is closed, sometimes enough to make me regret having it. Especially in winter when I can't open it and enjoy the sun.

Personally I'm not a fan of sunroofs on trucks. please if you do decide to put this on your truck, make sure you have enough room for the mechanism. The mechanism to open the roof it at the back of the unit and hangs down intruding on headroom. I didn't care because I don't sit in the back but others have complained that they almost hit their heads on the bulge from the sunroof.

hope this was helpful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks for the help so far yall.

Gambit: Can you do me a favor and take some measurements on your sunroof please? Just so I know if it will fit. I may be barking up the wrong tree. I KNOW a sunroof out of an 01 integra will work in the truck but I like the way this one stacks up at the back. My truck is an ext cab and my back seat is torn out and has been replaced with a speaker box lol. Headroom wont be an issue for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
IMO, if I were going through the trouble of installing a sun roof I'd at least get one where people don't have issues with it. At first you may be able to tolerate it but if it's leaking it's going to start stinking your car up and puddle somewhere. I believe I've seen other panoramic sun roofs and I would look at reviews from them since they get bad reviews on here. Just my opinion.

·
beeeeeeefy
883 Posts
IMO, if I were going through the trouble of installing a sun roof I'd at least get one where people don't have issues with it. At first you may be able to tolerate it but if it's leaking it's going to start stinking your car up and puddle somewhere. I believe I've seen other panoramic sun roofs and I would look at reviews from them since they get bad reviews on here. Just my opinion.
agreed.. honestly i wouldnt get the pano at all.. it looks kind of obnoxious, i prefer the 1 glass piece myself... and if i want the whole thing open i get it in 1 piece not 4 or 5 pieces... your asking for more work later on

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
I think any type of moonroof or sunroof is useless. Just causes problems and the useability is minimal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see what yall mean but I like the style of this one and I cant really find any others like it. A aftermarket one is out of the question because those ****ers are EXPENSIVE! Plus I like having a franken truck lol. The wheels I have now are off of a Nissan Armada. I had to bore them out with a router so they would even fit on my truck. Recently I bagged it and pretty much cut the truck into 3 pieces and put it back together lol Hell Ill jsut post a picture of the damn thing.

With anything customizing you do to a vehicle theres gonna be problems. I can handle it leaking a little bit especially since Ill be living in Phoenix. They dont get much rain there so Im not woried about getting a little water in the truck when it does.

Any ideas of other panos that open up like the one on the G6?

Thanks for all the info so far yall. anyone else have any first hand experience with this roof?

·
beeeeeeefy
883 Posts
I see what yall mean but I like the style of this one and I cant really find any others like it. A aftermarket one is out of the question because those ****ers are EXPENSIVE! Plus I like having a franken truck lol. The wheels I have now are off of a Nissan Armada. I had to bore them out with a router so they would even fit on my truck. Recently I bagged it and pretty much cut the truck into 3 pieces and put it back together lol Hell Ill jsut post a picture of the damn thing.

With anything customizing you do to a vehicle theres gonna be problems. I can handle it leaking a little bit especially since Ill be living in Phoenix. They dont get much rain there so Im not woried about getting a little water in the truck when it does.

Any ideas of other panos that open up like the one on the G6?

Thanks for all the info so far yall. anyone else have any first hand experience with this roof?
truck looks nasty bro! love them bagged!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks man. Its a never ending project lol. As soon as I finish one thing I start another and then plan for the next one lol. Next I have to do work in the bed cause it looks like crap. In the first pic you can see where the stock tank is sticking out of the bed a little. Ive got to get a fuel cell and then Im gonna raise the bed floor up and itll look stock it just wont be as deep.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Are the front tires toed in?

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App

·
beeeeeeefy
883 Posts
thanks man. Its a never ending project lol. As soon as I finish one thing I start another and then plan for the next one lol. Next I have to do work in the bed cause it looks like crap. In the first pic you can see where the stock tank is sticking out of the bed a little. Ive got to get a fuel cell and then Im gonna raise the bed floor up and itll look stock it just wont be as deep.
yeah i feel you on that never ending projects lol.. always saving for more, and figuring out what you can tear apart next.. the bed doesnt look to bad the way it is, but never want to half a$$ anything! so good luck to ya

and the wheels are that way because its smashed to the ground right now..

·
Registered
74 Posts
I wouldn't risk getting the sunroof, get a normal one. Quieter. The pano sunroofs look cool, but are loud when driving ( i know this cause of my friend having one), I like my 1 piece sunroof and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The g6 sunroof is pretty expensive, I have looked at getting mine replaced and I've given up because of the price. If you are looking for size wise look at Sicon tC's pano's they have the same flip up as the g6 but then a regular sunroof that is rather big, just throwing another option your way.

·
Registered
556 Posts
and the wheels are that way because its smashed to the ground right now..
Ive seen trucks bagged and smashed and their tires are not toed in.....my brother in law bagged his mercedes and his are not like that.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea its called camber. Theres ways to get rid of it but I like it so Im gonna keep it lol. I could either get new control arms(probably close to $1000) or raise the upper control arms up a couple inches and that will adjust the camber out a bit. Im just gonna leave it though cause like i said i like it lol. heres some pics of the truck at full lift on 1 side and layed out on the other.

as far as price ive found a few in junkyards for around 300-400. Have yall found www.car-part.com yet? Best site for junkyard parts. I got my H3 seats from there for $300, then sold my stock ones for $200 lol.

I think Ill take yalls suggestion and pass on the G6 sun roof. I apreciate all the help yall. This is exactly why I came on here cause i wanted first hand testimonials.

Thanks again yall

·
New 6er
48 Posts
Oh yea. I love that website. Siiick truck man. I love when ppl customize their shit!

·
Slick Black Pontiac
151 Posts
Ok thanks for the help so far yall.

Gambit: Can you do me a favor and take some measurements on your sunroof please? Just so I know if it will fit. I may be barking up the wrong tree. I KNOW a sunroof out of an 01 integra will work in the truck but I like the way this one stacks up at the back. My truck is an ext cab and my back seat is torn out and has been replaced with a speaker box lol. Headroom wont be an issue for me.
The outside of the sunroof is 36" front to back and 34" side to side, but the inner workings go back behind where it stacks up and are covered by the headliner, which I'm not taking down any time soon.

Seriously though, looking at the way this is integrated into the car, I don't think it would be easy to transfer to another vehicle. it is curved to match the roof of the car from front to back and side to side. Personally I wouldn't bother with trying to retrofit this onto your truck. IMHO it would cause you more headaches than it would be worth. :glasses:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i bet your front tires wear like $hit with them being like that though dont they? is that rough on the frame?
I cant drive it when its that low. I have to air up the suspension and that will bring it up off the ground so I wont scrape. As for wearing the tires out If I drive it really low yes it will wear them out but the only time I can really drive that low is at car shows and when im going REALLY slow.

I have air gauges in the cab that tell me how much air is in the airbags and so when I drive I put enough air in the bags to pull the camber out of the wheels. Im going to have it alligned at that level so I wont really have to worry about tire wear so much. If I buy a tire thats good for 40,000 miles Ill probably get 35,000 out of it no problem. So yea they wear a little fast but its worth it lol.

Gambit: Ok cool man Im gonna pass on this roof. Thanks for all the help though. Yall saved me a major headache lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts