Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 07 G6 for my son as his first car. We bought the car before he has completed his drivers license program so the car sat for a few weeks. My wife drives it once in a while to keep the mileage on her lease car low. The first time she went to drive it the battery was dead, dead as a door knob. So we purchased a new battery and no problems since december. In january I did some work on it. Needed new transmission lines(rusted and leaking) and replaced the infamous gasket on the oil filter leaking. Then the car sat for a while. My wife drives it occasionally but havent kept count of when the last time was. Two days ago April 6th she went to drive it and completely bone dead. I charged the battery for two days then watched a ton of videos on using a multimeter for testing a parasitic drain. When I first hooked up the multimeter (after waiting an hour) the 1st reading was 860 milliamps. I pulled fuses one by one and got it to drop to 240 milliamps when I pulled the radio fuse. Then I got it to drop to 20 milliamps when I pulled the IBCM #20 fuse. Does anyone have any thoughts on where to go from here? With the coronavirus lock down in my state my options are very limited so it may have to wait. But would love if someone could give me some expertise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just an update. I found the onstar fuse was pulling some current also. And I also found an aftermarket antenna on the inside of the windshield on the drivers side. I'm sure that might be a culprit also. Im guessing its for an aftermarket remote start. I'll have to follow the wires and see where they go and uninstall that since we dont have any fobs for it anyways. From what I'm reading anything aftermarket can cause a host of electrical problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently purchased a 07 G6 for my son as his first car. We bought the car before he has completed his drivers license program so the car sat for a few weeks. My wife drives it once in a while to keep the mileage on her lease car low. The first time she went to drive it the battery was dead, dead as a door knob. So we purchased a new battery and no problems since december. In january I did some work on it. Needed new transmission lines(rusted and leaking) and replaced the infamous gasket on the oil filter leaking. Then the car sat for a while. My wife drives it occasionally but havent kept count of when the last time was. Two days ago April 6th she went to drive it and completely bone dead. I charged the battery for two days then watched a ton of videos on using a multimeter for testing a parasitic drain. When I first hooked up the multimeter (after waiting an hour) the 1st reading was 860 milliamps. I pulled fuses one by one and got it to drop to 240 milliamps when I pulled the radio fuse. Then I got it to drop to 20 milliamps when I pulled the IBCM #20 fuse. Does anyone have any thoughts on where to go from here? With the coronavirus lock down in my state my options are very limited so it may have to wait. But would love if someone could give me some expertise.
As long as you have a electronic clock & calendar it will run the battery down. On any car !

·
Registered
1 Posts
just an update. I found the onstar fuse was pulling some current also. And I also found an aftermarket antenna on the inside of the windshield on the drivers side. I'm sure that might be a culprit also. Im guessing its for an aftermarket remote start. I'll have to follow the wires and see where they go and uninstall that since we dont have any fobs for it anyways. From what I'm reading anything aftermarket can cause a host of electrical problems.
I am having the exact same problem as you. I found a parasitic drain after purchasing a new battery (it was very old anyway). The drain was about 0.96A, and after removing the onstar and radio fuses I got it down to about .08A. I'm stuck now though. I've been scouring the internet looking for a solution but your problem is the only one like mine. I know it's been awhile since you posted this, but did you find a fix?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
to be honest i havent messed with it much. With just the radio fuse pulled i have been checking it every so many days to see if it would start and it has been no problem. so i think its mainly the radio that is the issue. when the radio fuse is installed you can hear the radio making all kinds of weird noises. we will probably end up just putting an aftermarket radio in it. the cost involved with having a dealer program a radio isnt worth it. As for the onstar fuse, i put it back in. this car doesnt have onstar so not sure what it powers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just in case anyone else is following this thread or has the same issue. Instead of paying a mechanic hundreds to diagnose and repair this issue I just decided to use whats called the priority start battery disconnect. Its a device that connects to your battery, when it senses a parasitic draw or the battery dips too low it disconnects the battery so no more draw on the battery can happen. When you get back into the car you simply push the brake or turn on the headlights and it resets, you can than start and drive away. Hopefully it will work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just in case anyone else is following this thread or has the same issue. Instead of paying a mechanic hundreds to diagnose and repair this issue I just decided to use whats called the priority start battery disconnect. Its a device that connects to your battery, when it senses a parasitic draw or the battery dips too low it disconnects the battery so no more draw on the battery can happen. When you get back into the car you simply push the brake or turn on the headlights and it resets, you can than start and drive away. Hopefully it will work.
Do you know what volt level I should use for the priority start battery disconnect? I went online to purchase one because I am running into the same problem for my 06 G6. When I was on the website I saw there were several different versions for the priority start battery disconnect. I think a 12 volt should work but I wanted to double check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts