Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 2007 g6 gt sport package with a barley functioning parking brake, I thought okay ill buy some cables. Bought dorman cables, installed easily, the problem was that the parking brake applied and held perfectly but would not release, i used a pry bar and moved it by hand, I took the cables out again and measured them to make sure they went on the right sides, I thought well calipers are probably a little seized, replaced those and still the same thing!! when i pull the parking brake it pulls all the way up nicely the first time and then every time after it gets harder and harder to pull, the ratcheting mechanism works just fine

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I bought a 2007 g6 gt sport package with a barley functioning parking brake, I thought okay ill buy some cables. Bought dorman cables, installed easily, the problem was that the parking brake applied and held perfectly but would not release, i used a pry bar and moved it by hand, I took the cables out again and measured them to make sure they went on the right sides, I thought well calipers are probably a little seized, replaced those and still the same thing!! when i pull the parking brake it pulls all the way up nicely the first time and then every time after it gets harder and harder to pull, the ratcheting mechanism works just fine
Did you ever come up with anything? I'm having the same problem with my 06 g6 gt that we just bought.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Many people with automatic transmission cars never use the parking brake, but the system used on the G6's is one that needs to be used periodically to keep it functioning. When I got my car, the brake lever would engage properly but the brake wouldn't hold the car. I kept applying it routinely and within a couple of weeks it gradually came back to full functionality. Of course this won't work if there's a mechanical failure that needs repair, but once it's corrected be sure to use it periodically. Mine had no rust or other mechanical issue, it just hadn't been used.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well we wouldn't use it either but my son wants to use it to get his license later this week and it has to work. I bought a new caliper for the passenger side yesterday and it didn't work either. Didn't want to buy both if it wasn't going to fix it. So we pulled and released this silly thing a million times, bled the brakes real good and it never would engage:mad: So this morning I tear into the console and I'm going to look into the handle. I tear it all apart and can't find anything out of place so I'm going to pull the passenger rear wheel and have one more look around. For whatever reason I kind of kick the wheel and notice it didn't move, so I'm thinking i don't have it all the way off the ground. I look and low and behold there is daylight under the tire. I look and the handle is pulled up a little so I release it and the wheel spins, I pull up all the way and it stops the wheel. Damnedest thing I've ever seen. I cycled it several times and it worked like it's supposed to so I went ahead and put a new caliper on the driver side. I don't have any earthly idea why it wasn't working last night but it did this morning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just replaced the rear rotors and pads on my recently purchased G6. I did this because the E-brake was very weak. I found that whoever replaced the pad before me, failed to line up the tits of the caliper piston correctly so I only had E-brake functioning on one wheel. Rotors needed changing anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts