Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
912 Posts
I have the same engine and upgrades minus the headers.

So you have the engine started and its idling fine?
Does the engine shut off when in drive or neutral or both?
And cell lights? And can you go reverse?
I know these questions sound dumb but it will help diagnose a problem if its something. simple.

And as much info as you can I was wanting headers also your the first i know to get some for the LX9

· Registered
11 Posts
I have obx headers on my 05 Malibu LS with the 3.5L LX9. No issues and I'm running the Magnaflow catback from the G6 as well. The only problem is the CEL for the upstream and downstream O2 sensors having the same reading and complaining about cat efficiency with p0420 and p0430. I also put in an oil catch can (air filter for compressor), high flow intake, Monroe maxair shocks from 1990 Aerostar, Brembo rotors, Akebono ProAct ceramic pads, high flow intake, and it's running strong. Headers have been on for about 15K now. I'm working on O2 spacers using the HELP! spark plug defoulers and having them drilled out so my O2 sensors will fit on the downstream so I can fool the computer there's a cat.

· WHITE G6 GT (:
160 Posts
I have obx headers on my 05 Malibu LS with the 3.5L LX9. No issues and I'm running the Magnaflow catback from the G6 as well. The only problem is the CEL for the upstream and downstream O2 sensors having the same reading and complaining about cat efficiency with p0420 and p0430. I also put in an oil catch can (air filter for compressor), high flow intake, Monroe maxair shocks from 1990 Aerostar, Brembo rotors, Akebono ProAct ceramic pads, high flow intake, and it's running strong. Headers have been on for about 15K now. I'm working on O2 spacers using the HELP! spark plug defoulers and having them drilled out so my O2 sensors will fit on the downstream so I can fool the computer there's a cat.
Holy wow. To much work. This has to void the warranty! Becareful man!

· Registered
912 Posts
So where you able to get the 02 sensor fixed?
Spacers so it further away form the air?

I would really like to get headers but im worried about the fact i only know of 2 people and its a 50/50 if it will work LOL

· Registered
11 Posts
I should also mention that when I put on the obx headers, they were are complete PITA because the stock system has fitting on each side of the cats. These were one piece. I had to drop the engine subframe mounts and jack the engine up and play with it to make it fit. Also the front O2 sensor was up against the shrowd so I chiselled some pieces out. The rear downstream O2 sensor after putting in the spacer was kinda tight too. The front header also does not allow you to run the stock oil filter. I can only run amsoil eao29's because they're the only ones small enough to clear or I'd need an oil filter relocator kit too (which I bought and still have if anyone's interested with two of the amsoil filters).

· Registered
912 Posts
Hey thanks for posting an update. This has been something Ive wanted and all that's really left for the major mods i can do. And i didn't realize how much work that is. If i knew the right people it doesn't sound impossible just a pain LOL

If you could get some pics up that would be AWESOME. Or a video so i could hear the exhaust. Since we have the same:D

Its alot to ask but if you have some time im sure it would be much appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.