Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 2009 pontiac g6 se 3.5l v6. I want to get some engine mods to help performance. Starting with a cai and chip. I have heard wam tunes are the best to go with. So my questions are:

Which intake is the best intake to order for my g6. And how hard is it if I were to install the intake myself?

And which wam chip would be my best bet to order?

And finally are there any exhaust systems that can give my g6 a kind of old muscle car sound? Like the soft rumble when idling? I don't like the new exhaust system sounds on cars.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hit up Lampoon for the CAI. He makes the CRAB intakes specifically for the g6. Installation should not be hard at all if you have basic knowlege of tools and mechanical aspects lol Heres the website: http://www.crabintakes.com/

Ive seen a g6 3.5 with the Magnaflow dual exhaust and it sounded pretty nice. Im not sure if he had anything else done. You can also search youtube for different set ups and you can hear them (sort of if the person making the video did it right!) lol

·
Registered
555 Posts
A WAMS "tune" is the ONLY tune out there for these cars that improve your engines performance by about [email protected] There are no "chips".

The custom CRAB intakes made by Lampoon are the way to go. The WAMS tune is designed to be used with the CRABS intake system. Easy cheasy to install.

Go to G6performance.com and search "WAMS". You should find a thread their with tons of info and a way to contact the guy who tunes our cars. You will have to buy a new computer if you want to save your stock one. Or you can tune the one you have, just no option to switch back to stock if you mail in your stock computer. I think its around $400 for a new tuned computer.

As far as exhaust, the Magnaflow exhaust is the most expensive ($5-700) depending where you can get it and if its on sale. This is a bolt-on system.

You can custom make yours. I went custom as i dont have that kind of money to watch my new exhaust rust out. My upgrade is a 2.5" pipe from cat back with a perforated glasspack style resonator (i added this later cuz it was too raspy without it for me) and a free flow muffler. Total paid was $400 installed at a local shop after tax and a limited rust warranty. All stainless material.

·
Legend
782 Posts
And to add. As far as the wams is concerned. They're specific to each engine. There's not a bunch of different ones just the one for your engine if that helps :)

And crabs definitely.

Magnaflow is a common choice of exhausts.

On top of that get a racingline strut tower bar and lower it to make it handle better with the added power.

Then your good as gold. Lol

:beer:

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
The WAMS tune is GREAT, I love mine, you may have to do a key relearn and/or Crank sensor position relearn. The extra performance is worth the money.

Jet Performance does make a chip for the G6... but long story short, it's a waste of money, It'll work, for a short time, then it'll start throwing codes and the engine will start running like crap. You may even damage the PCM, The WAMS tune is written specifically to gain performance from 91 or 93 octane, the map is changed and the motor knows exactly what to do.

Would you happen to know which 3.5L you have? LX9 or LZ4
Easy way to check is your VIN. The 8th digit is the engine code? The LX9 is "8" and the LZ4 is "N" Reason I ask is because I believe there are headers and possibly cams available, but only for one of the two 3.5L motors.

I'm currently searching for where I found performance parts for the V6

1 - 6 of 6 Posts