Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating plasti dipping my stock gxp rims. I think my rims would look better black and do not know what is easy and looks good on this type of rim material. I googled it and found some RAM drivers doing it for their chrome clad wheels and they ended up looking decent. Any suggestions other than plasti dip?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Im a huge fan of plastidip and have used in on many things, window trim, grill surrounds, etc and it works great. ill probably do my rims with it eventually too. just google plastidip rims and youll find many pictures and people that have done it already.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know, but I planned on this being just a test to see how well it goes. I'll wait to see how well this holds up and then I'm gonna redo it without the gloss. I used 4 cans of black and three cans of gloss, about $44 from dipyourcar.com. I hoped the gloss would make them really shiny, but it's kinda cloudy in direct sunlight, so I'll redo them later.

Doing this to wheels with a lot of spokes isn't easy. It's harder to cover all the small areas on the sides of the spokes, so you kinda just end up spraying over everything without focusing on one area. This leads to the spray sticking to itself in the corners and creating strings of plastidip, sort of like cobwebs in your house. The spray doesn't dry as smoothly on the sides of the spokes, so they end up more textured than the front face of each spoke. And since the dip shrinks as it dries, it doesn't lay well on top of wheel weights.

Overall, it looks good. If you get real close you can see the imperfections. But it's cheap, requires little to no prep work, and it isn't permanent. I like it.

·
Legend
782 Posts
do it :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Go for it, I've seen some that look good and like they said peel it off if you don't like, I didn't want black so I did mine in rust oleum wheel paint dk gray and they turned out well. ImageUploadedByAutoguide1341854598.402314.jpg

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 8 of 8 Posts