Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car lost power when I stopped at a stop sign. I was able to jump it and made it to my workplace before it died which was less than a mile away. I’m not a mechanic but I know that alternator and the battery play a part with the power. Long story short I replaced first the alternator, problem still there. The next day I bought a new battery and I was able to drive home that night and back to work the next morning but it quit on my way home. The battery was new and the volt meter said something like 8.02 or something. I am only assuming then that the alternator can’t keep up with something draining the battery or the alternator was faulty. Are there any other possibilities that I need to check that might remedy this. Any ideas would be appreciated. Please keep in mind as I said I’m no mechanic so please don’t be frustrated that you’ll have to explain it to me simply in order for me to understand. Thank you

·
Registered
2006 G6 GTP F40
168 Posts
The alternator and battery have to work together in order to be able to keep the vehicle functioning. The battery is used for starting the vehicle. The alternator maintains power once the vehicle is up and running. The alternator has a voltage regulator internal that increases or decreases power output depending on the demands of the vehicle. If your battery was only measuring around 8 volts, then that is definitely not enough. When the vehicle is running and you test the voltage at the alternator you should be around 13 - 13.5. battery voltage should always be above 12 volts, hence a 12 volt system. I would put the battery on a charger and get it up to full charge. Then I would install it in the vehicle and start the car. Using a voltage meter I would test the alternator itself at the positive terminal and a ground to see exactly what sort of voltage it's putting out. Then test the voltage at the battery terminals to see what kind of voltage you have there. Anything beyond this point may require you to take your vehicle somewhere to have the electrical system looked at. Also, it is possible that there's some sort of parasitic power drain that is draining the battery when the vehicle is not in use. But that's a whole nother topic. If you take your vehicle to Advanced Auto parts, or AutoZone or any of those types of locations they will normally perform a check of your electrical and starting system at no charge.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts