Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
I didn't realize the coupe stats were going to be so much lower than the rest of the lineup.

3.5L 3500 V6 with 201 hp and 221 lb-ft of torque
3.9L 3900 V6 SFI with 227 hp and 235 lb-ft of torque :eek:

Transmission 4-speed automatic, electronically controlled with overdrive (manual shift mode standard)

3.5L engine:
19/27 (city/highway mpg)
3.9L engine:
18/26 (city/highway mpg)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was very upset to see the lowered horsepower on the GTP Vert, but I've read its in part to having a more restrictive exhaust something, I dnot know much about mechanics.

That, and its that way for the structural rigidity.

Not for sure, but that's what I read.

·
Banned
44 Posts
I'm still amazed at how many people put their foot in their mouths regarding this project. Goes to show that one needs to listen to people in the know rather than all the stupid speculation that the media shoots their mouth off on.

If you read the GM releases that were sent out in September of 04, January of 06 (first quarter, so after the 15th, was the slated release for the convertible.) GM was right on time.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know that it's on time.

However, economically, it would have made sense for GM NOT to have said "There will be several trim levels for the G6: bases, performance, coupes and even a convertable" before the cars were released.

Because when they were released, and people saw that there was only a two trim level option with very little distinguishing factors between them, I think people were a bit upset.

If GM had brought out all of them at once, or at least the coupe, four cylinder, and GTP at intro, it would've been a bigger deal.

·
Banned
44 Posts
Subtle_Cynicism said:
I know that it's on time.

However, economically, it would have made sense for GM NOT to have said "There will be several trim levels for the G6: bases, performance, coupes and even a convertable" before the cars were released.

Because when they were released, and people saw that there was only a two trim level option with very little distinguishing factors between them, I think people were a bit upset.

If GM had brought out all of them at once, or at least the coupe, four cylinder, and GTP at intro, it would've been a bigger deal.

Yet at the same time GM released that info, they released the time tables on which those would be built. Keep in mind the Orion plant that the car is built on has only recently been converted to the Epsilon platform. Producing multiple vehicles, even though they are similar trim levels and share many of the same parts is difficult. GM needed some adjustment time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't think they need time to adjust at all. This is all automation. I work on robots for a living right now and I can tell you that once the lines are setup on paper and installed it is just a matter of time to get the programs installed and running. Once that is set there is just PLC and saftey systems to configure and the weld guns need to be calibrated. Once they start rolling off the assembly line there is nothing to adjust to. The cars will just roll down their respective line in the body and assembly shops.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In my personal opinion, the G6 needs a front bumper lift.

My friend absolutely hates the front of the G6 (loved the concept, though), because the front bumper is so...I dont want to say ugly, but for a sportier coupe or up level trim at least, it's very conservative and plain. It reminds me of the 05 Malibu bumpers, until they gave them a facelift for sport in 06.

If you look at Pontiac Canada website, they have an asskicking video when you click on G6. It has a silver GTP coupe racing fire through a tunnel; it was pretty much gorgeous; I just wish the front bumper was a bit more...GT'ish?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Smockonallama said:
I don't think they need time to adjust at all. This is all automation. I work on robots for a living right now and I can tell you that once the lines are setup on paper and installed it is just a matter of time to get the programs installed and running. Once that is set there is just PLC and saftey systems to configure and the weld guns need to be calibrated. Once they start rolling off the assembly line there is nothing to adjust to. The cars will just roll down their respective line in the body and assembly shops.
There is a lot involved when it comes to stamping the body's out. My dad was stamping the G6 coupe at the new plant in Lansing and he said that they had a LOT of problems. Apparently they had to do a lot of hand work on the body before it could be painted. He also advised me not to buy a coupe because they had to remove all of the galvanizing just to get the metal to look right in some areas. :eek:

I'm sure the convertible could have had similar issues.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Subtle_Cynicism said:
My friend absolutely hates the front of the G6 (loved the concept, though), because the front bumper is so...I dont want to say ugly, but for a sportier coupe or up level trim at least, it's very conservative and plain. It reminds me of the 05 Malibu bumpers, until they gave them a facelift for sport in 06.

If you look at Pontiac Canada website, they have an asskicking video when you click on G6. It has a silver GTP coupe racing fire through a tunnel; it was pretty much gorgeous; I just wish the front bumper was a bit more...GT'ish?
I disagree, I love the front of the car. It's much more aggressive looking than probably any other sedan out there, imo. I just wish they put the front and rear fascia from the GXP concept on it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was just talking about assembly. The stamping I would agree would have been very difficult especially since it was built by Fanuc robots. :D Maybe the lack of galvanizing is why the front end of my coupe screwed up the frame so much. Damn unibody design now has to be sectioned and repaired. Ah well.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Subtle_Cynicism said:
Did you notice how the lower front grille was painted silver on that G6??

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts