·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
240HP from the GTP model of the g6

Pathetic.

No supercharger?

Pathetic.

Im so dissapointed, they will never keep up with import cars in its class (06 eclipse 265 hp) and i HATE imports

·
Registered
314 Posts
I don't know. A 240 horsepower middle-sized sedan from a Pontiac without a supercharger or anything else; I'd say that's pretty damn good given GM's past with this. No Grand Am ever had that much horsepower, and the engines bigger than the current V6 Grand Prix, I'm not sure how I feel on it right now.

However, what DOES bother me about the GTP is two things : 1.) I haven't heard SQUAT about when it's coming out from Pontiac themselves, and that really bugs me, and 2.) It's gas consumption and four speed automatic. Why does it seem like only GM uses these four speeds anymore, just put a five speed in to compete!

Although the 6 speed manual is a nice option.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Subtle_Cynicism said:
I don't know. A 240 horsepower middle-sized sedan from a Pontiac without a supercharger or anything else; I'd say that's pretty damn good given GM's past with this. No Grand Am ever had that much horsepower, and the engines bigger than the current V6 Grand Prix, I'm not sure how I feel on it right now.

However, what DOES bother me about the GTP is two things : 1.) I haven't heard SQUAT about when it's coming out from Pontiac themselves, and that really bugs me, and 2.) It's gas consumption and four speed automatic. Why does it seem like only GM uses these four speeds anymore, just put a five speed in to compete!

Although the 6 speed manual is a nice option.
Agreed

·
Registered
67 Posts
I dont think its all that bad the eclipse really isnt in the same class as the g6. But they could have given it at least more power than the accord V6 which of course also has 240 HP. But the GTP will still sell. Many people have been wanting a GM V6 with 6 speed manual that isnt $30,000 and thats what the GTP will give them.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I concur with Xtreme.

It may not be the "best", but there has also been speculation about a GXP model eventually coming out with supercharged power, though don't quote me on that; most crap I know of the GTP is probably speculation anyways, because Pontiac's been pretty lip-shut about it.

I will test drive the GTP with a six speed and an auto. I dont know if I really want another stick at this point in my life, but I hope the G6 GTP is "faster" then the GT, though Motor Trend says it's hardly noticable. If that's the case and I want an auto, I'll just get a GT.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have had a leased 2005 G6 GT since December 2004 and had the opportunity to drive a GTP coupe for a while and there is definitely a difference in the acceleration :)

Hopefully other forum members can provide their first-hand impressions very soon now that vehicles should be showing up at dealers.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hey, e2helper, can you give us any other information about the GTP. What you liked, didn't like. Things you noticed about it.

It's like hearing a story from Grandpa, I wanna know more!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I understand, but I would prefer to wait and let more unbiased folks provide their opinions so just a few generic comments.

The coupe is a beautiful vehicle from exterior styling standpoint (IMHO) and I would have gotten it instead of sedan if it had been available last year when I had to lease a new vehicle. I like the fact that the GTP has Stabilitrack system although I haven't seen it in operation yet since I didn't drive the GTP in the winter. I do like the feel of hydraulic steering better also but you do get used to the electrical steer found in GT. Headroom in the coupe is less than sedan due to the swoopy glass but we don't have rear seat passengers normally to be concerned with.

That is all I want to say :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just for the record, I don't pay any attention to those magazines. Consumer reports said a lot of negative stuff, I didn't find any of these things.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Why does it seem that every magazine I read to do with cars has a HUGE hatred for Pontiacs.

They usualyl don't like Chevy either, but are more forgiving and likely to look over a small issue compared to Pontiacs, which I see them just rip apart.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the GTP rear is also ugly as sin..........

Maybe Im dissapointed because at the NYC auto show, the GTP had a 260HP Supercharged motor.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You must be talking about the coupes rear end. I think that's ugly as sin, personally.

There is no difference in the back end of the GTP compared to the Sedan or GT, except it has duel exhaust this time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts