Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a white 4 door G6 GT for around $4500 with about 110k miles on it. I told the guy that owns it that I may be interested. Only problem is that I was under the impression that they were all pretty quick little cars. That is until I got to looking around on the internet and saw some of the performance numbers for the earlier models. The guy wasnt at home and hasnt messed with the car in a while so he's not sure what model it is. Only knows that it's a V6. What markings or features do these cars have that let you distinguish say a 2005 model from an 09 model or other models? I noticed it was automatic with the sportomatic style shifter. Just had an M for manual and a D for drive. Also had the factory polished wheels.

I realize this is a very vague post and I'm not giving you anything to go by really. Sorry about that. I didnt notice any Flex-Fuel emblems or anything like that on the car.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Let's just make this clear: the G6 isn't a racecar. If you want a racecar, go with an Eclipse GSX, WRX STi, 240sx, that sort of thing. If you want a family car that is comfortable and can get up and go, then a G6 is a good route to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I didnt make that clear in the original post. I already have a 94 Z28 with 400 RWHP. I would however like a car that can be daily driven, reliable and get in the 14's with bolt ons. And still get 25-30 MPG. Which is the preferred motor in these G6 GT's? Seems like the 3.6 and 3.9 are the fastest but I havent been able to do a lot of research on them just yet. BTW thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I've heard the 3.9 has a few problems. I would go with the 3.6, which is exclusively in the GXP models. If you want any bolt ons whatsoever, I wouldn't go with a G6. There's jack crap for bolt ons for the G6. Of course there's basic stuff like a cold air intake, but that's about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard the 3.9 has a few problems. I would go with the 3.6, which is exclusively in the GXP models. If you want any bolt ons whatsoever, I wouldn't go with a G6. There's jack crap for bolt ons for the G6. Of course there's basic stuff like a cold air intake, but that's about it.

I can't go with the 3.6. The car I'm looking at is a GT not a GXP. Remember? lol
I thought I read somewhere that you can get aftermarket headers for them and have them tuned?

·
Registered
20 Posts
The VIN would really help you know what year it is and what option packages it has. :p
Sorry but the G6 is very similar across the years it was made. Pretty much whats on the back of the trunk is how you tell the difference, V6, GXP, GTP, spoiler/no spoiler etc. If its got the manu-shift then its most likely a V6 w/6spd tranny.
Also there is very little after market stuff for it unlike your Camaro. If you're looking for a tuner car then i'd keep on looking because there is practically nothing aftermarket for these cars. Its essentially an Australian Holden Vectra with a few tweaks.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Yep, +1 for VIN check. It will be really easy to find out what's goin on under the hood. A side note, My wife has a 07 GT with the 3.5 and a 4-speed tranny that also has the manual shift option. So it is not specific to the 6-speed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts