Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 04 Mazda 6i. I love the car but have had a few frightening problems with it such as engine stall while on the highway and a few other minor problems.

I have been looking on this forum and a few others and I am a little steered away from the G6 if it werent for its styling and such. My cousin has one and has only had an idling problem with his. My question is this...

Would you trade in a Mazda 6 for a G6? What are the pro's of the car vs. the cons? Would you purchase your car again if given the same opportunity?

Currently I am looking at a 06 GT which is being sold at $21,999 with all the bells and whistles minus the panaromic sunroof, although it does still have a sunroof. However, they want an addition $3000 to put with my trade because I owe more than my trade is worth. My other option is a 05 GT same as above with all the bells... but it does have the pan sunroof. Which would be the best choice?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
To be perfectly honest, I would never trade a Mazda6 in for a G6. If anything, I would upgrade to a higher level Mazda 6.

I think the G6 has a more functional looking, conservative interior, but I'm used to GM interiors.

I do not own a G6, but I've test driven ever trim level pretty much, and can say, personally, that while I adore the G6, the Mazda 6 is still a better car.

EDIT: I take that back. The only reason I would trade a Mazda6 in for a G6 is if I wanted a GTP coupe.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wouldn't trade the Mazda 6 for a G6. Mazda is probably going to be at least equal if not significantly better quality than the Pontiac. Don't get me wrong...I love the G6, but you wouldn't really be trading up. Perhaps you should look into an Accord or Camry, but even then your not really getting much benefit over the Mazda.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya, it is a 4 cyl. which is another reason for me wanting to trade. DH says that I should just stick with the Mazda. However, driving 70 on the highway and the engine shutting off for no apparent reason, is enough to make a girl want to drive the flippin thing off the nearest cliff!

·
Registered
40 Posts
From what I've heard the Mazda 3 is much better in overall quality than the Mazda 6, but it's a 4-cyl so that really doesn't solve your problem. You might have better luck with a 6-cyl Mazda 6.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My problem is affordability. The new 06 Mazda 6 v6 is about $23,000 which would put my payments at a price I cant afford. I had a honda civic which I loved, I just dont like the style of them. I am trying to talk myself out of the G6 and into it at the same time. Are y'all saying that you wouldnt get a G6 if you could do it again?

·
Registered
64 Posts
The g6 coupe gtp is a great car except for the slight problem of seeing some stuff like out the back windshield lol. But yeah I like it but I never thought of getting a G6 or really wanted it. Heck what I wanted was a evo or tt quattro a g35 awd or a fx35 awd used of course but would of taken any of them. My parents also could of saved a little money and got me like a 03-04 eclipse if they still wanted to get me a coupe since my dad loves 2-door cars and trunks I have seen them for pretty cheap about 3k or so less then my g6 was at least. I was actually happy with my little vibe it was a good little car but oh well I got a nicer car now I just can't seem to get good at backing it up is the only problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The lack of pro-G6 posts on this thread worries me a bit. I'm also thinking about buying a new G6, but on a board like this, you sort of expect a lot of posts along the lines of "Go for it!" The fact that so many here seem to be saying it's better to stick with a Mazda 6 with known problems rather than getting a G6 doesn't seem like a good sign.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aardvark,

I totally agree. I kinda figured there would be SOME saying nah, stick with the Mazda, however, I thought that there would be plenty saying Ya! Its a great car... From what I see, people dont seem to think its all that great...

although the one post by Coupe GTP gives a little hope???

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well see the thing is I like the coupe, but if I could get a v6 vibe i would take that over my car any day my vibe didn't have half as many gadgets as my g6 but I liked it allot more. I guess it is all what you’re used to, but I drove that for 3 years and didn't have any problems at all, I mean it did have several short comings and was a mediocre car for it but I felt better in it. The one major thing that my vibe up on it was AWD that thing with studded winter tires was a tank. In a couple years, I am sure I will feel allot better than I do now about my car since I have only had it since jan. 10th. The g6 does handle better but in snow the obvious answer is the vibe was better but thats the way it should be since it had all-wheel drive and studded winter tires. It is also easier to keep at a constant speed with the g6 since the v6 has power where as the I-4 didn't and if you didn't know I live in pa in an area called the endless mountains, and I am endlessly going up and down hills continually. The ride quality I think is alot alike, but the vibe I believe gets the heads up on that one. The seats in the g6 are better than the vibe, but I didn't have powered seats. The radio is nicer since it has xm and hasn't stopped working where as the radio on my vibe worked except my 6-disc player went once at like 3,000 or 4,000 and again very shortly after that and I am talking only a matter of like a moth after that I never got it fixed. But believe it or not some guys dissed my vibe but all the girls loved it and wanted it, now more guys like it then girls it seems. Sorry if this is just rambling and I know it is long, but I am just trying to help out. Also on a side note I have never had the engine shut off on me but the top speed I had gone in the vibe was 103.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm totally pleased with my GTP sedan thus far. I'd recommend a GTP sedan/coupe, but you're not looking to spend around 23K, and I didn't know the Mazda6 6-cyl was that much. I can't really comment on the other trim levels of G6 because I didn't even test drive anything other than the GTP before I purchased my car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
liiiina76 said:
My problem is affordability. The new 06 Mazda 6 v6 is about $23,000 which would put my payments at a price I cant afford. I had a honda civic which I loved, I just dont like the style of them. I am trying to talk myself out of the G6 and into it at the same time. Are y'all saying that you wouldnt get a G6 if you could do it again?
I didn't happen to see this must of been right before I posted the first time. But I wouldn't of picked the g6 in the first place my dad did tho and my parents are paying for it so you can't argue there.If I had to pick a car under 20k I would of either gone for a 04 GTO(6k miles) I have seen some go for 18k or a 03 eclipse gt(24k miles) I saw for 13k. I have only glanced tho at some of the auction books tho so I am sure there are other great cars under 20k but those are the 2 that really caught my eye since I like them alot.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I don't mean to G6 bash. The G6 is a nice looking car...one of the nicer ones Pontiac has put out in awhile.

However, even when the G5 comes out, the price of the Mazda 3, and Mazda's reputation wuold be enough for most people to completely disregard the Pontiacs.

If you're looking for reliability and looks for your money, I'd say go with the Mazda 3. They are cheaper, can have just as many options, and still look pretty darn good.

I love the G6 GTP coupe. I really do. The rear quarter panel is too long and awkward, I personally feel, but other than that, it's a great car. The gas milage isn't great, but there's a payoff with everythnig.

There is a lot of negative G6 feeligns on this board, there really is. But the thing people have to understand is that this is a new car. Regardless of brand, there will be problems. It just so happens a lot of people on this board have had problems. There are a lot of users on this board that never opst, however, adn we have no idea how their expereinces have been.

I'm sorry for the poor typing tonight, I can't seem to find the keys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really appreciate your comments. I still have alot of thinking to do. If I decide against getting another car, I'll stick with my Mazda 6. I dont really want another Mazda. I want to get away from that paticular brand. I'm not happy with the car. The whole reason behind getting it was because it is what my husband liked.

Anyway, without carrying on too much, I really appreciated and I'll keep you guys updated on what my final decision will ultimately be...

Thanks again!!

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
liiiina76 said:
I really appreciate your comments. I still have alot of thinking to do. If I decide against getting another car, I'll stick with my Mazda 6. I dont really want another Mazda. I want to get away from that paticular brand. I'm not happy with the car. The whole reason behind getting it was because it is what my husband liked.

Anyway, without carrying on too much, I really appreciated and I'll keep you guys updated on what my final decision will ultimately be...

Thanks again!!
Purchase the best quality car that fits into your price range. If you are considering a G6, look at an 2006 model.

·
Registered
485 Posts
My friend has a Mazda 6 and I had a Mazda 626. They are very nice cars, much better than my Bimmers in some ways. But I always prefer domestic cars over the imports (although the Mazda 6 is actually American built using mostly domestic parts). The reason I chose the Pontiac G6 is because it seemed to be truly competitive in the mid-size market. I love the G6, it has a lot going for it. Good value, good power, comfort, roomy, stylish, etc. But I can also feel that the quality and workmanship are not there. The G6 simply feels cheap compared with the rest. When I add up what I want out of a car, the pluses exceed the minuses so I am very happy with the G6 in the end. I can't say which is better, the G6 or the Mazda 6. But if you don't like or trust the Mazda 6, get rid of it and get what you want. I still love the G6 even though I know there are better cars out there.

Again, stay away from the panoramic roof and the 2005, the 2006 G6 has much less issues.

·
Registered
40 Posts
mrslcom said:
Again, stay away from the panoramic roof and the 2005, the 2006 G6 has much less issues.
Ditto. I read about all the panoramic roof issues before I bought my car, I ended up getting just a standard sunroof. It's good enough for me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
One of the things to remember is that people can post all day about "see how bad this is" but the general disposition from those of us who bought a first year 05 G6 and wouldn''t hesitate to buy another is not to repetitively post. There's not a lot of emotion or newsworthiness in "I bought this car. It does everything I want it to do very well. It's comfortable. It gets terrific mileage -- especially for a car this large and comfortable. It starts every time it's supposed to. It stops and turns every time it's supposed to. It merges onto the highway with power to spare. I put 2500 miles on ours one week last fall in a trip I make every year and it was the most uneventful trip I've ever taken. I wasn't stiff and sore at the end of the 600 mile days."

It won't beat a supercharged something in a quarter mile. That doesn't matter to me. Its highway mileage numbers are up there with Cobalts. I neither know nor care whether I can integrate my XM with an amp.

Ours has been a good solid, well-performing car. It's got some "sass" in its looks and in its gas pedal.

I'd buy another this afternoon if I was looking for another car.

I personally don't care for the looks of the Mazda.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts