Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Powdercoating rims

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  reverttheclown 
#1 ·
Anyone know of anyone that has powder coated their factory rims? I really like my 5 spoke factory polished rims but want to get black rims. I don't want to go bigger, especially since I'd have to get new tires. What's eveyones views on powdercoating? Will I still get a nice gloss? Durablity?

#4 ·
here's some info I found from a quick Google search, it turned up on the EVO forums...

he curing process for powder coating is typically between 350-450F. This extra heat cycle is extremely detrimental to the integrity of most cast aluminum alloys. They get brittle, crack, and snap when under heavy load, like what a wheel experiences. Most powder coating shops do not have the $100k equipment needed for controlled temperature increases and decreases and this is extremely stressful on the metal. A mass produced wheel will have it's original coating done and cured by such a machine, if it is even powder coated at all.

#5 ·
Wow, that would def. turn me off from getting them powder coated but i guess its just one person's experience...

#9 ·
i have a customer that does powder coating and he has done alot of rims and has never had any issues. i'm thinking of going to a gun metal grey on mine. My last car i did this and i never had any issues. but, if your powder coater dosen't do sand blasting aswell, you need to have this done aswell before they get coated. Most tombstone makers will do this for you, make sure they have experience doing rims, they could pit and leave a very bad surface. So, the powdercoating and an bad sand blasting can leave a rim out of balance, then add a tire (that is very rarely balanced) can become very difficult to be balanced out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.