Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 G6 convertible and I am having problems with the power locks. They only work when I put the car in gear (lock in reverse and drive; unlock in park). Nothing happens when I push the power lock switches, nor does anything happen when I unlock the door with the key. I bought the car with 2 keys. One key only locks and unlocks the car, and the other key only starts the car. That seems new to me since all my previous cars had valet keys that would do everything but lock and unlock the glove compartment and trunk. I also bought a 3rd party key FOB to get programmed, but the locksmith said that if the power locks don't work normally, then the programming may not be successful.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
441 Posts
The physical key only unlocks the drivers door mechanically on my convertible, it does not activate the other lock. You say yours does nothing. If it turns it would indicate that something mechanical is broken.

As the power locks work with the transmission shifter you know they are functional and getting a signal. The buttons may have an issue as could the wiring to them. Some members have seen wiring issues near the hinge where years of opening and closing causes wear.

Do any buttons on the remote fobs give a response? Trunk release / Panic for example. If they do you know the fob is coded to the car and the battery in the fob is likely good. Aside from a bad battery the rubber inserts are often a culprit. As you have a new fob, if it is the same physical type you could switch the rubber insert over to see if you get a working fob. Replacement inserts can be ordered online. Some have had success with tin foil or conductive paint.

The ignition keys should have a plus in a circle embossed on them to indicate they have a transponder. If both do, then the one that is not working will need to be coded to the car. There are threads mentioning how to do this with a scan tool or just running a sequence and waiting. If there is no transponder I would not expect it to start the car.

Hope some of this helps and hope you get it fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
The physical key only unlocks the drivers door mechanically on my convertible, it does not activate the other lock
Wow, that's strange. Normally, if you turn the cylinder twice it would unlock all doors. But thanks for the confirmation.

The buttons may have an issue as could the wiring to them.
Ok, I'll check the switches and wiring.

Do any buttons on the remote fobs give a response?
Sorry, I may not have made it clear but I never got the FOB programmed.

The ignition keys should have a plus in a circle embossed on them to indicate they have a transponder.
Only one key has the plus in a circle. That's the key that starts the car, but won't work on the doors. Do I need to get that key recoded. And do I need to replace the other key with one that has the plus?

By the way, I read where the body control module(BCM) may be faulty. What do you think?

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Only one key has the plus in a circle. That's the key that starts the car, but won't work on the doors. Do I need to get that key recoded. And do I need to replace the other key with one that has the plus?
If the ignition key will not open the doors and the door key will not turn the ignition it sounds like the door lock was replaced at some point. You can put the keys back to back and compare the ridges. Most likely they are different. The coding I mention is to match the transponder to the security system, it will not affect the mechanical lock operation. If you are looking for a spare set of keys you will most likely need the get a transponder key cut to match the ignition key (and coded to the car security system) and an ordinary one cut to match the door lock key.

By the way, I read where the body control module(BCM) may be faulty. What do you think?
They do not usually fail. It is more likely that you have a connection problem, a faulty switch or broken wire. As the transmission shifter will lock / unlock the doors you know the BCM to door lock side is working, as is the signal from the transmission. If you get the fob coded there is a good chance it will work as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts