Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey, I was driving about a month ago, and power steering came on my radio where the trip and stuff stays on for like 5 mins and goes off, and just then, it came up again. I looked in the book to see if it needs power steering fluid, but in the book, it says what to put in and where it's too, but it's not under my hood! Any ideas?? Soon have to bring it in, but everything feels fine.

·
07 Black GT Vert ♥
445 Posts
You likely have the electrically assisted power steering system.
An error condition existed that caused the message to be displayed.
Intermittent overheating of the unit from heavy steering use, or holding the wheel in the full locked position to the left or right is one of many possible causes.

There are many post on this subject in our forum so take a look for more info,

An explanation of this warning message can be found on page 214 of the 2007 G6 Owners Manual:

POWER STEERING: This message displays if a problem has been detected with the electric power steering, if your vehicle has this feature.
Have your vehicle serviced immediately by your dealer.

·
Jimmy B.
136 Posts
I hope mine goes out! just so I can get it fixed under the warranty tho. Thank God for the warranty. I'm going to be sad when it runs out tho

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem in my '08 G6 4cyl auto, power steering displayed on the radio, steering still works, but trans shifts really hard from 1st to 2nd everytime I accelerate from a stop and also the speedometer does not work. Any help on this would be greatful

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I have a similar problem in my '08 G6 4cyl auto, power steering displayed on the radio, steering still works, but trans shifts really hard from 1st to 2nd everytime I accelerate from a stop and also the speedometer does not work. Any help on this would be greatful
No codes?

Based on that small amount of info it COULD be a vehicle speed sensor issue-the sensor itself or it's circuit (wire harness). I can't recommend replacing the sensor without some corroborating evidence of failure (which can be tough to gather without a proper scan tool). But it's your decision.

One test that you can do pretty simply: sensor resistance should measure between 1,650-2,200 ohms at 68°F (though it may pass that test & still be intermittently functional).

205 Posts
Same Thing happened to me, the power Steering came up on the radio but it didnt go out yet. That just means its preparing to go bad. I had to replace my whole power steering system after the dealers fixed it once. His was back in 09 when I got the car. Haven't had any problems since. Then in June we got an extended warranty for the power steering. For 10yrs/150,000 miles.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Same Thing happened to me, the power Steering came up on the radio but it didnt go out yet. That just means its preparing to go bad. I had to replace my whole power steering system after the dealers fixed it once. His was back in 09 when I got the car. Haven't had any problems since. Then in June we got an extended warranty for the power steering. For 10yrs/150,000 miles.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
The "Power Steering" DIC message only tells you that the EPS controller has identified a problem & popped a code. My suspicion is in this poster's case the problem may be that the controller is not getting the vehicle speed input from the VSS. The EPS uses that input to adjust the amount of assist. But, without knowing the code that's popped, we are both just speculating.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There isn't a reset button for the electric power stering assist. The thing goes bad and has to be replaced and must be programmed to your car with a Tech2. There was a recall on most years. You might get lucky and get it fixed at no charge.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Power Steering message

Just got Power Steering message on radio and it is a bit harder to turn the wheel. Is that warranty in effect for me to get it fixed?

2006 G6 4 cyl 73000 miles

·
Registered
3 Posts
There isn't a reset button for the electric power stering assist. The thing goes bad and has to be replaced and must be programmed to your car with a Tech2. There was a recall on most years. You might get lucky and get it fixed at no charge.
Question!? Do I look at the manufacturing date to figure wether or not my g6 qualifies for the recall

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.