Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont see this in the manual as a recommended service. Last time i was at the dealer for work they suggested this. My 2006 G6 has just over 60000 miles. Thanks for any input, Mike

Ps...anything else you think my car might need at this time would be great!!

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I dont see this in the manual as a recommended service. Last time i was at the dealer for work they suggested this. My 2006 G6 has just over 60000 miles. Thanks for any input, Mike

:doh: That's because the 05s and 06 have electric power steering, not hydrolic (I know I can't spell), therefore no power steering fluid. If he suggested it, he's full of shit.

My suggestions, Transmission flush (GM's trannies are usually the first to fail and can't hurt to be careful)

Coolant Flush if it hasn't been done yet...Dextron fluid lasts only 2-3 years truefully because it's garbage

Other than that, get some synthetic and start running 7,000+ miles before oil changes :D

That's all I can think of right now

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yeah i would have to agree with KB, the guy at the dealership doesnt know what he is talking about.

·
Varsity Squad
751 Posts
:doh: That's because the 05s and 06 have electric power steering, not hydrolic (I know I can't spell), therefore no power steering fluid. If he suggested it, he's full of shit.

My suggestions, Transmission flush (GM's trannies are usually the first to fail and can't hurt to be careful)

Coolant Flush if it hasn't been done yet...Dextron fluid lasts only 2-3 years truefully because it's garbage

Other than that, get some synthetic and start running 7,000+ miles before oil changes :D

That's all I can think of right now
Not all of the 05 and 06s were electric power steering! My 06 GTP is Hydrollic with electric power assist. Power steering fluid is not in my reccomended service intervals either. Some manufactures, mostly european and japanese, reccomend servicing every 30k. The fluid is hyperscopic like brake fluid and will absorb moisture in the system, but can only do this for so long and then becomes corosive and eats away at the seals in your pump and rack. Not a bad service if the price is right.

·
Registered
286 Posts

I have a 2006 GTP and I have regular hydro power assist. My pump started this weird growling noise. They have a TSB for this. It's said to put a mighty vac over the cap hole on the reservoir and vacuum down to 20 in. and run the wheels back and forth with the cars front end up in the air.

I posted the compete instructions here the other day.

I sucked some fluid out with a mighty vac and refilled reservoir with Lucas power steering fluid with conditioners. Worked like a champ.

Apparently the design of the reservoir allows the fluid to slosh around and get air in the system. Mine did it under hard braking. I overfilled it just slightly, it ma help.

·
Registered
470 Posts
For longer change intervals, you can get synthetic P/S fluid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts