Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 GTP G6 3.9l v6 2 Door Coup
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my '06 GTP almost a year now, and it's had a PS leak since I got it. Have a question.. is there anyway to tell if the pump itself is leaking or if a hose somewhere may be the culprit?

I have a new pump but looks like it's going to be a pain; so I thought I'd ask about the lines, etc. Anywhere in particular to look? What should I look for? Also if it is the pump is there anyway to replace it without removing that motor mount?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 G6 GTP F40
126 Posts
Get yourself a can of degreaser. Go to the carwash. Spray as much of it as you can on all steering components and rinse off. For the following few days keep checking all suspect areas and see where it's starts to get moist first. Pumps almost never leak. It's usually the high pressure line or the rack itself near the bellows. If you want to take it one step further, you can put some dye in the PS system and use a UV light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my '06 GTP almost a year now, and it's had a PS leak since I got it. Have a question.. is there anyway to tell if the pump itself is leaking or if a hose somewhere may be the culprit?

I have a new pump but looks like it's going to be a pain; so I thought I'd ask about the lines, etc. Anywhere in particular to look? What should I look for? Also if it is the pump is there anyway to replace it without removing that motor mount?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello to everyone new to the forum. Not trying to high jack anyone post. Just need some advice. Ok i have a 2006 g6 gtp 3.9 have owned it for over 2 years now. A few months after i got it the power steering high hose leaked. Had it replaced. 2 months after that it leaked again. Had it replaced. Now 2 years later which this past monday i had it replaced. Only for it to leak again. Took it back Thursday an pick it up Friday after hose replaced. Today it is leaking again. Like is there anyway around this cause shops seemly not knowing how to get around these im sure they getting tired of me coming up there cause of this. Is there an alternative for this procedure?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts