Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, recently my wife's 2005 G6 has had the "power steering" message on the info screen. Yesterday I decided I was going to fill it up with fluid. So I got online to check what kind of fluid and quickly discovered the horror stories regarding the 2005-2006 electronic power steering on these cars.

Let me just say that this is a disgusting display of customer service to not offer this extended warranty for the life of the vehicle. Am I really out of luck because the vehicle has over 100 k miles? This has got to be a joke.

So what happens when my wife and 7 year old and 9 month old are driving this POS and the steering locks up in the middle of a turn, on the highway, or ANYWHERE really???

I could go on all day about this, but I am not really a complainer I am a fixer. First I am going to have my wife go to the GM dealership and ask them to fix it. If they don't fix it I will fix it myself so I need to know the exact tools and parts and instructions and I think I can fix it piece of cake. I work on my own vehicles all the time so this shouldn't be an issue but you never know.

Yes, this is my first post and this is the one and only reason I registered here. Please help with some guidance on the DIY aspect of fixing this problem, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The problem is due to poor electrical contact with some connector inside the steering column I believe. Sorry I don't have more info on this. You can check the NHTSA recall website to get more details.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm going to try to DIY this same problem tomorrow, using low mileage replacement parts from a GM recylcing re-seller here locally. I'll post the details here for those that want to do the repair themselves. I have a tech2 available if necessary but it might not be needed. There is another thread a dozen down from this one with some basic DIY info as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I removed the electric assist motor/module asssembly last night and picked up a low mileage replacement locally today. I took lots of pictures of the dissassembly and I'll do a write up after I get the new one installed hopefully tonight. This is a pretty straightforward swap so hopefully this will help people that can't afford to drop $1k at the dealership and are beyond the stupid 100k mile warranty extension.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts