Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
you should receive a letter from GM or your GM dealer if you bought it from one.. It will be addressed to the registered owner of the vehicle.

Be patient.. letters should arrive in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well I have an 06 G6 GTP - so in the recall it says only some 06 models. Couldn't find any information more specific, so I called my GM dealer. They had no clue what I was talking about but checked my VIN anyways - didn't find anything. So it looks like the GTP isnt part of the recall. But I will wait a week or 2 and double check - the information relayed from GM may be delayed or something.

·
Registered
117 Posts
again.. ONLY CARS WITH ELECTRIC POWER STEERING WILL BE INVOLVED

If you can look under your hood, and you have a power steering reservoir.. you will not be included.. if you don't know what your looking for, wait until the letters arrive, or the dealership network has more than 24hrs to learn about this.

This recall announcement was made YESTERDAY, so there will be a very normal delay before the dealership networks begin to be instructed on how to handle the recall. Give the guys a chance to know something before you guys start making phone calls asking questions they can't answer yet. It'll save you some time, and allow them to service the customers they have in shop already.

ALSO, please read the GM Press Release for all the information that has been provided. It it in the very FIRST post, and describes what the problem is.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I did read the press release, I do not see anywhere where it says it is limited to cars with electric power steering. It makes sense what you're saying, but what is your source?

If your post was referring to mine, then I know it was made yesterday and called just to check to see if they knew anything, and simply said I would try again in a week or 2. So, I am giving them the chance and I know there may be a delay with information transfer etc. totally reasonable and understandable. If you were not referring to my post then you may disregard the latter half. But still, how do you know it is electronic power steering?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was actually not referring to your post about calling, it just reminded me to say something about it. :)

The source I have is the original recall and the opening statement of the new press release.

"DETROIT – General Motors informed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration today that it would recall more than 1.3 million vehicles in the U.S. that may experience a sudden loss of electric power steering assist."

Electric Power Steering Assist is the electric steering rack. A "Hydraulic Power Steering Assist" recall would be issued for the hydraulic units.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks I guess I missed that small nuance.
are you having problems with yours? or were you just wanting it replaced?

·
Registered
21 Posts
what exactly is going to be replaced on the g6? is it the whole steering column? after some research on this forum it seems like thats what's for sure needs to be replaced on mine. i get the *clunk** from steering left to right or right to left right as the wheel is completely straight
.. and yes my 6 is equipped with EPS

·
Registered
117 Posts
what exactly is going to be replaced on the g6? is it the whole steering column? after some research on this forum it seems like thats what's for sure needs to be replaced on mine. i get the *clunk** from steering left to right or right to left right as the wheel is completely straight
.. and yes my 6 is equipped with EPS
idk where to even start with this.. :bolt:

sounds like you have other problems. and none of it is the power steering unit

·
Registered
51 Posts
are you having problems with yours? or were you just wanting it replaced?
Nope - no problems with the G6 besides oil leaks (from storing it 6mo every year). I don't even want it to be replaced, but if there was a possibility of failure I would like to have it prevented. Just precautionary.

·
2005 Pontiac G6 Owner
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Steering Problems

Seeing as they seemed to know about the ignition and steering problems for so long and all they seemed to be able to do is put people off with extended "Not warranty/NOT Recalls", I think it should be found that they should have to REPLACE the vehicles. They are gonna have to take a "charge" to their bottom line anyway, and with the constant emerging problems rearing their ugly head, that would be the only true way to avail the fears that this problem is only the first of many that just has not shown itself.

I know some people would say that is not fair to GM, but was it fair to us all this time to know there was a problem with the cars and to have to go through the hassle and constant denials that there was one. Some people even received letters (read in an article) where GM said they knew it was a problem with design but that there was no easy way to correct it and that is why they issue the TSB's.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Car companies don't initiate a recall unless lives are in danger. Even so they sometimes still don't.
In GM's case, common on-going defects such are engine gasket failures, dex-cool problems, warp brakes, steering column clunks, etc. are addressed by TSBs because they are quality issues not safety issues.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts