Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Pontiac G6 VL 2.4L with 73+k miles, it gets driven. I have read here that there are really no performance mods that you can do other than buy a different car... :(, but I recently struck a deal with my wife to let me get and fix up my dads 1972 Corvette instead of trading in the G6 to get something with more power. Trying to decide if this is a good idea, but more to my point, the G6 has to last to make this work.

What preventive work can I do to my G6 so that I can get 150k out of it?

I have replaced the tires, exhaust, got an alignment, replaced the rotors and pads, flushed the transmission, flushed the brake lines, new spark plugs, new lights, and a few new fuses. I dont want to sink a ton of money into the car; all I want is for it to keep going everyday like it does now. What belts should I have checked/replaced, is there any engine work I should go have done, or something to watch for. I know there is always the likelyhood of an electrical issue that you cant plan for. Should I wait to replace the battery if nothing is wrong now?

Thanks

·
GTP 06
588 Posts
well, sounds like your doing everything you should be. Getting to 150k shouldn't be difficult for the G6. The main issue you will have is your transmission. My old car tranny went at 138k. So change tranny fluid at 50k and 100k. My recommendation would be to check everywhere on the body for rust and take measures to stop it or prevent it. example fender wells, under trunk lid at the bottom, under doors. ext.. you will most likely have to replace a wheel bearing or tie rod to.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Any car that is even slightly taken care of can make 150k, let alone 200k.

Stay on top of maintenance.

-Change/Flush Coolant(73k? do it).
-Oil Changes on time per OLM
-Brake/Power Steering flush
-Tranny Fluid ever 50k
-Tire Rotation/Balance
-Suspension/Struts should be due.
-Plugs and Wires

Basically if you follow the GM owners manual cept for the tranny fluid(100k, no thanks) you should be fine.

·
Professional geek
433 Posts
I had a 1988 Grand Am that I pretty much always drove like I stole it. I had the engine rebuilt at 186,000 miles after it blew a (second) head gasket. Because I changed the oil regularly and used only quality gasoline, the rings were in fantastic shape and there were nearly zero deposits in the oil pan.

The two best things to do for longevity are keep the oil clean and service the cooling system. I used to flush the cooling system every year regardless of mileage.

I finally sold it with 246,000+ miles on it, still running strong. It went to Tijuana to become a taxi. No, really.

~ MattInSoCal

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
I wonder how many miles on it now, since its a taxi

·
Professional geek
433 Posts
I wonder how many miles on it now, since its a taxi
There's no way of knowing. The digital odometer stopped counting at 199,999 (thanks for having so little faith in your products, GM!) and I kept a log after than so I would know the mileage. I'm sure it's long since retired since I sold it in 1999.

~ MattInSoCal

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
never know haha could still be going strong

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
I had a 1988 Grand Am that I pretty much always drove like I stole it. I had the engine rebuilt at 186,000 miles after it blew a (second) head gasket. Because I changed the oil regularly and used only quality gasoline, the rings were in fantastic shape and there were nearly zero deposits in the oil pan.

The two best things to do for longevity are keep the oil clean and service the cooling system. I used to flush the cooling system every year regardless of mileage.

I finally sold it with 246,000+ miles on it, still running strong. It went to Tijuana to become a taxi. No, really.

~ MattInSoCal
That's funny, I had a 1995 GrandAM that the head gasket blew out at about 175,000 miles. I went ahead with an overhaul and drove it till about 240,000. When I traded it in it still ran find, everything worked I was just ready for a newer car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.