Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Problem with my 2008 g6 3.5 v6

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Lazaro baez 
#1 ·
I had my car die on me while I was on the hyw no power what so ever my battery died got a jump from someone and there terminals got melted my car starts and stays on for maybe a min or 2 then my abs my battery my oil and all the dash lights come on and the car dies when I try to turn it back on my battery is completely died I've looked for a short all throw the car from dash to trunk with no luck I've been with out my car for about 2 weeks now need help please someone thank you

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally I would be checking if I were getting power from the alternator when the car is running. You should see the voltage go from around 12v to 13v if the alternator is supplying power. You can check this at the alternator and the battery to ensure you have a complete circuit. Without the car running you could do continuity checks from the alternator to battery positive as well as engine to battery negative and chassis to battery negative. Hope you get it sorted.

Not sure if you meant to use "melted". If things started meting there is probably a more serious electrical fault elsewhere but I would also expect it to be severe enough to be fairly easily detected

#4 ·
You may have a really bad battery, significant current draw or combination of both. You may want to check for obvious issues like a coin dropped into either of the accessory / cigarette lighter connectors. I would also unplug anything in them in case they are faulty. Then you are looking at some form of battery and parasitic draw test like in this video. At least that is where I would start. Hope you find it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.