Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my used 2010 Pontiac G6 I loved it but I have had so many issues with it that it's ridiculous. The first was when I bought it. I was told that there was a recall on something to do with the steering column and that I would be able to get that repair done for free but when I took it to the shop to get it fixed I was told that the recall for my vehicle had expired and that I would have to pay for the repairs. This made me very upset and angry. The place where I bought my vehicle lied to me about the recall and I don't know if the shop lied to me too or not. Now I'm having more problems like the gas gauge saying it's empty when I have 1/2 tank of gas, the speedometer not working, ABS light staying on for no reason and more. I'm so fed up with this car. Is there anything I can do about the many recalls that there have been on this vehicle and the shop's telling me that the recalls have expired?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm sorry to say but this is all on you . First off when buying any used car , let alone one that is 11 years old , it's just foolish not to have a garage you know and trust inspect the car for potential problems . A simple internet search would have revealed any recalls covered by the manufacturer . I really feel bad for you but next time bring along an experienced person with a good working knowledge on how to buy a used car .

·
Registered
610 Posts
if you have not done so it may be worth calling other GM dealerships. I am fairly sure I got some recall notices from GM last year on my G6. I would also try calling GM customer services directly. It may get you nothing but all you lose is some time, patience and cost of the call. Hope you get a better answer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I bought my used 2010 Pontiac G6 I loved it but I have had so many issues with it that it's ridiculous. The first was when I bought it. I was told that there was a recall on something to do with the steering column and that I would be able to get that repair done for free but when I took it to the shop to get it fixed I was told that the recall for my vehicle had expired and that I would have to pay for the repairs. This made me very upset and angry. The place where I bought my vehicle lied to me about the recall and I don't know if the shop lied to me too or not. Now I'm having more problems like the gas gauge saying it's empty when I have 1/2 tank of gas, the speedometer not working, ABS light staying on for no reason and more. I'm so fed up with this car. Is there anything I can do about the many recalls that there have been on this vehicle and the shop's telling me that the recalls have expired?
I purchased an 07 convertible and was told the recall is only good if you are having a problem. The car was in great shape with only 70,000 miles. I had it checked out at the dealer. One month after I purchased I had several problems. Top stops going up,traction light.oil leak anda few minor things.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Can you expand on each issue individually? These cars were involved with the class action suit against GM for the ignition switches. That may have expired, or may still apply. However the ignition switch is on the dash, not steering column, so this might not be the recall you are speaking of.
a vehicle speed sensor will set the ABS light as well as no speedometer, but the check engine light should be on if no vehicle speed input. Could be a bad ABS wheel speed sensor at one of the 4 wheels, but you should still have speedometer. These cars had trouble with the connection at the body control module (that was a recall too, but might not apply to your car since it’s the newest year for G6). My G6 had bad connection at BCM and it caused ABS light and no cruise control, but I think my Speedo still worked.
As I said, need more info...

·
Registered
8 Posts
How many miles are on your 2010 G6? If you have over 100,000 miles it's fair to experience issues with various mechanical or electrical failures. In this more specific situation, many of your issues could be the instrument cluster failing. Technically that is a single part failure so really you wouldn't have "multiple problems" just one. Trying to get these issues covered under recalls can only be determined by a GM dealer. If you don't like or trust what one says bring it to another. If the other place says it's not covered then it's probably not covered. From there you will have no choice but to get it properly diagnosed and repaired.

All cars break regardless of make or model. If you are looking for a used car that doesn't break and the costs are covered this is not realistic but expensive aftermarket warranties can keep costs under control at the cost of raising your monthly payment substantially. All used cars break, some more than others. Stick with Toyotas and Hondas if you want to attempt to minimize the chance of major repairs. Still, nothing is guaranteed. When I bought my 2010 G6 I knew (based on web research on that vehicle) that I would likely have the timing chain go out which is a $1500.00 repair. About three years into owning it, sure enough, the timing chain failed. I am mechanically inclined so I dealt with it myself saving about $1100.00. The risk for me was worth it because I work on my own cars and I saved a lot of money buying a cheap domestic vehicle.

I hope your issue or issues end up being reasonable to repair and please feel free to write back if you want advice on whether or not the quote for repair seems in line.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts