Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I was looking for some help with my hard top convertible 2007 GT. This past year I was using it and it would work in the track but I noticed that it did not want to lift out of the locking mechanism for you and I would have to help it or I would have to lock it in that unlock again with the automated process. Yesterday I was about 55 hours and I wanted to test it to see if the situation got me better and it hasn’t the truck with a lift the top would not release unless I pushed hard on it and then the roof would not move and go up Track just released. I haven’t checked the fluid on it because I didn’t know about that until I read some of the discussion boards. Anyway working on the roof or trying to get it to open and close I noticed that it would continue to just move the motor with out moving the roof and then it wouldn’t necessarily shut but would lock for me. I got two messages top not secure and top over temperature show up on the screen Both went off my and top one block. Any ideas to fix this?

·
Registered
753 Posts
If you are having to assist the top move by hand, I would suspect you have a leak in the main hydraulic rams that move the roof. That is quite a common issue on the convertible. As a first step I would check the fluid level. If it is low I would certainly be thinking of a leak. Most of the time you can find the fluid below the ram. If you lower the roof you can remove the top plastic trim by the rear seats where the front seatbelt comes through and see the rams more easily to check for visible leaks or fluid pooling below them. I believe it is also possible for the hydraulics rams to leak internally (the fluid passes by whatever internals move the ram causing it to become weak). I sent the two main rams to Top Hydraulics who repaired them for me. No more leaks and the top works fine again. Hope you can find it and fix it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are having to assist the top move by hand, I would suspect you have a leak in the main hydraulic rams that move the roof. That is quite a common issue on the convertible. As a first step I would check the fluid level. If it is low I would certainly be thinking of a leak. Most of the time you can find the fluid below the ram. If you lower the roof you can remove the top plastic trim by the rear seats where the front seatbelt comes through and see the rams more easily to check for visible leaks or fluid pooling below them. I believe it is also possible for the hydraulics rams to leak internally (the fluid passes by whatever internals move the ram causing it to become weak). I sent the two main rams to Top Hydraulics who repaired them for me. No more leaks and the top works fine again. Hope you can find it and fix it.
Thanks I will look into that. Would that keep it from allowing the top to come down as well?

·
Registered
753 Posts
The top is moved up and down by the same two rams (one on each side of the car). If they are leaking or weak they could have problems moving the top in either direction.

A sensor issue will normally present by the top stopping the move and the pump refusing to run any further. If the top stops, but you wait and press the button to continue the move and the pump runs again I would again guess the sensors are OK. To get a deeper insight into the sensors you would need an advanced scan tool capable of accessing the folding top module

Another possibility is the pump itself, but if the trunk is releasing and reverse opening OK, I would think that a pump problem is less likely (but this is just a guess based on the symptoms you mention).

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think boomer is truly an expert on this topic but the one thing that I would like to give you a heads up on.., is too check the fluid level at the pump first. You do not want to get caught with roof in the trunk and not able to check the fluid at the pump.
Good luck
Convertme

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welll that isn’t a problem right now as it won’t move. I will check both. Piston sounds very possible if it is not liking cold weather. I believe I have seen them in the trunk. One on each side of the black metal roof lift system. They appear silver, round, and probably 8 inches long. My next question is how do you remove them if I am accessing them thru the trunk. Good morning should have thought of a manual crank for the roof for emergencies.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Like others have mentioned, I would make sure the fluid level is good first. You can also put paper towel below the rams to help see if they are leaking. It is possible to have a leak at the hose connection point which could be an O ring. I was not so lucky and the leak was round the shaft, so I had to get them repaired.

If you do need to remove them this thread may help.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Better late than never as they say and maybe it has been said. I did not go back to look on this thread. There is no such thing as using oil or a small leak is ok. If the oil level is low, even just a little bit, you have a leak in the system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just raise top and forget it!
Gm dealers won't work on this lemon
Of a top.
GM won't make parts or sell patent.
Remember: these were bk years.

This top rattles so much we call it the
Rattler.
Should have bought a COBRA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts