Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me out. Both my key fobs took a dump. So i purchased some with the same part number on ebay. Now I need to know how to program them.....HELP PLEASE...:eek:

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,351 Posts
Only a dealership can program them (tech2). How nice is your service advisor??
Some do it for nothing and others will stab you and take your wallet & children.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So just to be sure i am getting this right...If i have one functional Key Fob, i cannot program a second one myself. That seems pretty crappy, all my previous vehicle i could program them myself with sometimes a long process, but it works..thanks for all ya'lls help!

·
` Colleen =)
123 Posts
Did you check your manual? Like Lampoon said, Im pretty sure the service department has to do it. Why dont you go back there and have it fixed, it will be under warranty and you wont have to pay for it.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,351 Posts
Cheaper on eBay for the remote but I like the option to find a local
KeylessRide Locksmith Partner to program it for you....
Here

Good Find!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
You know what I find interesting, when Pontiac dealerships were around I could buy a FOB from them for $45 bucks and this included programming... went to the local Chevy dealer and they want $129 for the dang thing. These things aren't that critical to me, it's my wife's car but she has gone through three so after the last one we decided it was just as easy to stick the key in the lock and turn it, takes half a second. The FOB's for these cars are cheap and break with little effort, I have a Dodge truck and a Volvo 960, we toss those keys around just like the Pontiac's and have never had to replace them, we love the car just gave up on the FOB's... my Suburban was the same way, GM needs to find a different company to make their FOB's.

Good luck on the programming, my experience was that you had to go to a dealer or find someone that knows how. I know on the BMW I had, I just had to point the FOB at the car, hold the lock button for ten seconds and it would program it that easy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You know what I find interesting, when Pontiac dealerships were around I could buy a FOB from them for $45 bucks and this included programming... went to the local Chevy dealer and they want $129 for the dang thing. These things aren't that critical to me, it's my wife's car but she has gone through three so after the last one we decided it was just as easy to stick the key in the lock and turn it, takes half a second. The FOB's for these cars are cheap and break with little effort, I have a Dodge truck and a Volvo 960, we toss those keys around just like the Pontiac's and have never had to replace them, we love the car just gave up on the FOB's... my Suburban was the same way, GM needs to find a different company to make their FOB's.

Good luck on the programming, my experience was that you had to go to a dealer or find someone that knows how. I know on the BMW I had, I just had to point the FOB at the car, hold the lock button for ten seconds and it would program it that easy.
I have tried to just use my key, but everytime I do it sets my alarm off. I have tried to change the settings, but can't seem to get it right. Do you know how I can change this so that I can just use my key?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Can anyone help me out. Both my key fobs took a dump. So i purchased some with the same part number on ebay. Now I need to know how to program them.....HELP PLEASE...:eek:
You went the wqrong way. All you needed was to get the rubber pieces for the remotes, no programming. Try this website http://www.carandtruckremotes.com/pontiac-remotes.html. Pick only the correct rubber piece for your remote. Done! Cheap and effective. If you dont believe me check on some more of the posts on this site and find my posts and the replies I got from satisfied people.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is impossible to program them, I also bought one on ebay, I took it to one dealership they wanted $80 to program it, So I took it to another dealership that laughed and said it was free and that they couldnt believe the other place wanted $80, So check around, they did it in literally 20 seconds for FREE

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
It is impossible to program them, I also bought one on ebay, I took it to one dealership they wanted $80 to program it, So I took it to another dealership that laughed and said it was free and that they couldnt believe the other place wanted $80, So check around, they did it in literally 20 seconds for FREE
Good story. It is important to check various places since some dealerships plain out suck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My key fob recently went out, and I bought a new one on E-Bay for $13.75. I called around and got some outrageous quotes to re-program it, one dealer wanted $80!! I found a local locksmith that does it for $35. It's too bad you can't program them yourself. I found that wiki site and wondered if anyone has successfully programmed it themselves?

I think when I get my remote I may try just replacing the rubber part and see if it works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I looked inside the key fob and the connector that holds the battery came apart from the circuit board. I swapped it out on the other fob and it is working as of now!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I looked inside the key fob and the connector that holds the battery came apart from the circuit board. I swapped it out on the other fob and it is working as of now!
those battery arm solder joints are notoriously weak. adding solder to the joints before they weaken & break is a good idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You went the wqrong way. All you needed was to get the rubber pieces for the remotes, no programming. Try this website http://www.carandtruckremotes.com/pontiac-remotes.html. Pick only the correct rubber piece for your remote. Done! Cheap and effective. If you dont believe me check on some more of the posts on this site and find my posts and the replies I got from satisfied people.
Thank you for your advice! It worked for me - the rubber part got worn out and only the trunk release button was still working. But I ordered the rubber piece from ebay for about $3 and it's already on it's way.

Just to spread some knowledge I acquired along the way:
1. In order to use the remote start feature you need to press the "lock" button first and then hold the"remote start" button for about 3 seconds.
2. If your check engine light is on, the remote feature won't work, for safety reasons.

Hope it will save someone some time.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need another key. Just bought the car (yesterday) and it only came with one key so wanted a spare (I would loose my head if it was not screwed on so thought a spare was a good idea).Then i googled and find Willowbrook Locksmith and they prove genious in their work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts