Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of the major problems/repairs experienced by owners?
I am mainly concerned with problems concerning the retractable
hardtop.

·
Registered
119 Posts
For anyone contemplating purchasing a retractable, there are a few truths you need to know. The fact that there are still quite a few out there operating normally is a testament to the basic design, complexity notwithstanding. Since the platform is shared among other GM models, many mechanical and drivetrain parts are available and can be serviced by dealers if necessary.

First, there are few if any technicians at dealerships from back in the day that have any experience on them. Most dealers have people that can read scanners and obtain codes. That's likely to be the limit of their experience. So, the bulk of the troubleshooting and repair effort will fall on you, the owner, who should be prepared to obtain the tools and documentation needed to maintain and troubleshoot your car.

Second, there are no large, untapped caches of parts anywhere to be had. Virtually all retractable specific parts are discontinued and unobtainium. Even though GM made a couple of other retractable models (The Cadillac XLR and GMC SSR) during the same era as the G6, these are even more rare and compatibility is hypothetical. There are a couple of specialty vendors (ie: Top Hydraulics, Inc.) that can service some specific items of the retractable system, but you will need to plan on having to source used parts from wrecking yards that have one or more examples in stock. Some vendors sell used parts on eBay but prices are high and availability is sketchy. If I had room and could afford it, I'd locate a parts car for my own use.

All this being said, I plan to keep my car and keep it operational as long as I can. It's not only a technically interesting car, but It's extremely enjoyable to drive and enjoy. As one of the few G6's that may be truly collectible, I encourage anyone interested in them to pursue their hobby. My car is just one more in my life that I wish I could have bought new. Good luck. - Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Mark,
Extremely insightful. You have basically covered everything that I wanted to know. As much as I have fallen in love with this car, perhaps it's not for me. I'm not one for potential headaches. You may have just saved me a lot of heartache, not to mention a lot of money.

Regards,
Russ

·
Registered
119 Posts
Russ, I'm sad that I may have dissuaded you from considering the car, but you need to know the truth about the challenges of loving a car so completely abandoned. It's sad that you can build a complete Model A Ford from aftermarket parts or any 55-57 Chevrolet, but the lovely G6 retractable can't even get an honorable mention in any parts catalog. (Actually, the very rare Pontiac G8 fares even worse.). That being said if I had an opportunity to buy a late '09 retractable with all the running changes that were made through the years, I'd likely trip over myself trying. Good luck and take care. - Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much, Mark. I do appreciate your extensive knowledge, and more so, your honesty.
Btw, you mention an interest in the '09 version. This is what I am considering. Would you
strongly recommend the '09 over previous years? Should I reconsider my possible
purchase!?

·
Registered
119 Posts
The 09's got the last of the incremental changes that were applied to the G6 line before production stopped, including some things many consider desirable. In '08 the cars got the TPMS system,chip keys and an input jack for the radios. In '09, the DIC was moved from the radio to the instrument cluster with improved steering wheel controls and bluetooth radios were adopted. I've heard that some wiring revisions were made to the retractables, but I have'nt seen these for proof. (Someone else may chime in here.) The front and rear bumper facias were revised to what had been planned for the '10 models as a '09.5 running change and these on the retractables are quite rare and coveted. There's nothing earth shaking here that would materially change the future or outlook for these cars, but had I researched a bit more I might have held out for an '09 just to have the last of the breed. I did find a very nice '07 and it will be my last "toy" car.

I did forget one thing that was told to me by another owner. In the event of an accident, your insurance company will want to quickly total your car rather than repair it, leaving your without your treasure. We already knew life wasn't fair. Take care.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I truly appreciate all of your input. Very helpful in formulating my decision. You certainly are a wealth of knowledge.
Regards...

·
2007 gt retractable
340 Posts
The 09's got the last of the incremental changes that were applied to the G6 line before production stopped, including some things many consider desirable. In '08 the cars got the TPMS system,chip keys and an input jack for the radios. In '09, the DIC was moved from the radio to the instrument cluster with improved steering wheel controls and bluetooth radios were adopted. I've heard that some wiring revisions were made to the retractables, but I have'nt seen these for proof. (Someone else may chime in here.) The front and rear bumper facias were revised to what had been planned for the '10 models as a '09.5 running change and these on the retractables are quite rare and coveted. There's nothing earth shaking here that would materially change the future or outlook for these cars, but had I researched a bit more I might have held out for an '09 just to have the last of the breed. I did find a very nice '07 and it will be my last "toy" car.

I did forget one thing that was told to me by another owner. In the event of an accident, your insurance company will want to quickly total your car rather than repair it, leaving your without your treasure. We already knew life wasn't fair. Take care.
the 2010 front and rear facias as well as the instrument cluster are easily added to the earlier cars and the 2010 radios can be made to fit.

·
08 convertible
243 Posts
You need to decide what kind of car you want and why.
The G6 vert is a really nice looking, comfortable and economical 4-seater that can be bought cheap. Maintenance/repair is manageable for the right DIYer, but it's definitely not the car for the average person.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much. This seems to be the general consensus. I love this car, but I can see that general maintenance could prove to be an issue for me. Especially financially.
Thanks for chiming in.

Regards...
Russ

·
08 convertible
243 Posts
Russ, if you can tell us what your requirements are, some of us may be able to suggest a better choice.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The Lexus is out of my league, but it's interesting how similar in appearance they are with the G6. Considering how many of the current retractables are made by small volume high-end manufacturers, the fact that the G6 made it to production is all the more remarkable.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The Lexus is out of my league, but it's interesting how similar in appearance they are with the G6. Considering how many of the current retractables are made by small volume high-end manufacturers, the fact that the G6 made it to production is all the more remarkable.
The reason I got into the cars is the first place is that they are generally cheaper than other cars of a similar nature ( hard top retractable). Yes they have their issues but hopefully I am lucky enough to maybe have one that will last.
If you are not quite sure Russ and would like help,I don't mind giving you a hand. I live on the Canadian prairies,if you would like to reach out, do not hesitate. I have family from central Canada to Vancouver!!

Take care,
Convertme

1 - 14 of 14 Posts