Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced a purge solenoid for my car, and my check engine light is still on. Says it malfunctioned. I don't know, who knows how to do this properly? I thought this would be an easy fix?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats circled in red is what I replaced. The tube snapped off into the part its connected to to the right so I got pliers and took out the broken tube, small piece, not sure what the red/blue wire is for but I disconnected that and put the new solenoid in. I forget the code it was but I remember saying it "malfunctioned".

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Your problem is not with the purge solenoid valve but with the vent solenoid valve (or it's control circuit). If you want to troubleshoot the circuit before throwing a new part at it (which may solve nothing):

Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the EVAP canister vent solenoid valve.
Ignition ON, verify that a test lamp illuminates between the voltage supply circuit terminal A and ground.
⇒ If a test lamp does not illuminate, test the voltage supply circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal and the voltage supply circuit fuse is open, test or replace the EVAP canister vent solenoid valve.

Connect a test lamp between the voltage supply circuit terminal A and the control circuit terminal B.
Command the solenoid ON and OFF with a scan tool. The test lamp should turn ON and OFF when changing between commanded states.
⇒ If the test lamp is always ON, test the control circuit for a short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the control module.

⇒ If the test lamp is always OFF, test the control circuit for a short to voltage or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the control module.

If all circuits test normal, replace the EVAP canister vent solenoid valve.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got back from the shop for this problem, mechanic said I should get the canister part at a dealership cause its more reliable and better than the one I had Pepboys order for me. What the fudge?!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts