Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has tried to figure out if one of the intake manifolds from one of the many other vehicles with the LY7 (3.6L V6 GTP/GXP) flows better as most of them make more horsepower? Or perhaps the one from off the LLT (the camaro V6 motor)?? I ask because if so, coupled witha CAI or Ram Air this would seem to be a extensive increase in power production, because after all an engine is nothing more than an Air pump. More air in/out equals more power. I also thought about getting a whole engine from a camaro or Caddy CTS/STS and putting it in, but not sure if it would mount up to the 6 speed auto FWD trans that's in my GXP...

Any thoughts or comments??

P.S.: Sorry if I ramble a bit....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Good point. I thought for a while I found an intake manifold, but turns out it is not applicable. I had an active thread about it, but I can't seem to find it. If i do I will comment on it so that it goes to the top of the threads. Someone on their found a place that has intake manifolds for the six...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't need a fancy aftermarket one though...just a better flowing factory one and a bit of porting....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Good point...Hey do y'all think that an average mechanic could do the port/polishing? I have a guy that I know that fixes cars up after recks and is an at home mechanic and he restores cars. I don't know him that well so do y'all think that he could do some p&p to my stock intake manifolds???

·
Registered
159 Posts
yes and no...doing a P&P on anything will increase the amount of air in/out, but there's also turbulence and a few other factors that come in to play...i don't think you can really go wrong when it comes to the intake mani, but the heads would be a different story because it's the last stop before the cylinders....but hey, what do i know

·
Registered
142 Posts
No, I mean just port and polish the intake manifold...nothing else. I really dont like to screw around with my car a lot because my last one was a mess....I didn't do anything to it but an accident did....electrical and other problems up the yin yang and I dont feel like dealing with that stuff EVER AGAIN!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, a couple things. First, throw polish right out the window, it does nothing but wast time and make it look pretty, but it does nothing to actuall increase airflow. And as far a turbulence goes it's a yes and no thing, unless you have big huge ruts and gouges, and it's bumpy like a speed bump not like goosebumps then you're fine. Airflow deals with fluid dynamics but more loosely than say water. But both will always take the path of least resistance. Hope that made sense, I'm not the best teacher, but I know my sh*t.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.