Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a 4 door GT and I noticed in the back seat, on the floor, in the center there is a bump or a hub that looks like something that would be in a rear wheel drive car. Anyway thats not the problem, The issue is when I put pressure on it with a foot or my hand you can feel its uneven and not solid. It feels like there is no steel there supporting it and if I were to put my full weight on it my foot would go through it.
It is almost like it is a cardboard box in the floor. Also when the Emergency brake is pulled you can feel movement in this hub because I think the cables are run through it.
I was just wondering if this is unique to my car or does everyone have this weak/flimsy hub in the back seat on the floor?

Thanks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
anth_97 said:
Hi everyone,

I have a 4 door GT and I noticed in the back seat, on the floor, in the center there is a bump or a hub that looks like something that would be in a rear wheel drive car. Anyway thats not the problem, The issue is when I put pressure on it with a foot or my hand you can feel its uneven and not solid. It feels like there is no steel there supporting it and if I were to put my full weight on it my foot would go through it.

It is almost like it is a cardboard box in the floor. Also when the Emergency brake is pulled you can feel movement in this hub because I think the cables are run through it.

I was just wondering if this is unique to my car or does everyone have this weak/flimsy hub in the back seat on the floor?

Thanks.

no, not unique, sorry. i never noticed it until you mentioned it so i had to go check it out.

it seems to me that it is a cover to protect the parking brake cable which runs inside the car rather than outside. most of the 'tunnel' on the floor is probably to allow clearance for the exhaust system. guess we had better not step on that spot, huh? :eek:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I actually did step on that spot and I got scared for a second. To test it I put alot of my weght on it and it held but did not feel right.
Its not a big deal but I think its something they should address in future model. I mean how hard is it to put a peice of steel there?

·
GTP 06
588 Posts
its partly because the exhaust runs through a Chanel under the car there. So instead of a drive shaft its a exhaust pipe.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,353 Posts
I believe there is metal there its just a few inches under the jute matting & carpet.
So when you depress it, it moves down some.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts