Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Perfessor
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously thinking of switching to a CAI in my 07 G6 (I'll be talking to Lampoon when I save up some more $$), but the various mechanics that I've spoken to about them say that there are lots of adjustments that would have to made to the engine to have it work properly.

Other than their statements getting them out of having to do a bit of work, how much truth is in what they say? :confused:

Are there many adjustments to be made after install? I used to be a backyard mechanic, but that was on older cars where you could climb in the engine compartment to do your work. Now, it 10 pounds of $#!^ in a 5 pound bag. Drop a wrench and it gets lost, lol. :D

Any and all comments/suggestions welcome.

Perfessor

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
Im always late to the party. lol

Your stock pipe has a few squeezes in it. Look at the 90 off the TBI.
Also look in front at the indents - like the one for your dipstick.
Air can only flow at the rate the smallest point will allow (choke point).

The FPU is basically a mandrel bent true 3" connection from your TBI to your MAF.

It allows 24% more air to flow over stock.

Keep in mind the G6 is not a race car so there isnt a huge difference but users report more torque on the lower end.....and well....there is that Bling factor! lol

Its for people who want to get all they can from an intake.

K&N mke a nice front pipe but their heat shield is horrible.
Injen is a 2.7" system which is smaller than your TBI so its a hit from the get go.
Crabs- stay away from them - they itch.

There are a few cheap eBay options but you get what you pay for.
There are mixed reviews on them. Some say they work...others say they are junk.

The V6 engines adapt well to an intake. Get one!

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Of course an intake on a skyline makes no difference in a shop where the temperature is a constant.
The G6 intake isn't one smooth pipe. It has restrictions to make room for other parts and that alone slows things down. A CAI is plenty effective when you go out for a drive, say early morning with cooler air out. You'll not only feel a difference but you'll see it in MPG.

Cooler air is more dense. More oxygen molecules to mix with the atomized fuel. Making a more complete combustion cycle and producing just that much more power. Plus the consistant diameter smooth tubing does quite a bit just to aid in airflow to the engine, which in an N/A setup is worth it at WOT.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Problem is, it's the cold air not the intake that would be producing the suggested power it's the cold air which is provided by the environment not the CAI. The smooth tubing is a great addition but if you're switching it to a metal pipe it's going to heat up much faster than the stock tube and kill any performance gain you MIGHT get from having a smooth tube.

Heck the only reason I bought one was because someone was selling one used inexpensive so I snagged it up, I feel nothing different from when I just had the K&N filter with the stock box.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
What intake did you get?

Breathing more and easier is indeed a plus.

You can monitor a difference via dashhawk or any other port monitor.

I have a "metal" pipe and my IAT temps when the car is moving is ambient or a few degrees hotter. There isnt the heat soak you seem to think is occurring.
Maybe your used intake has a dirty filter or issues. Beats me....but a drop in versus a intake should be quite a diff with your butt dyno. If it isnt then you need to start troubleshooting.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Although the aluminum tubing gets hot, it does shed heat pretty quickly. My intake temps drop faster and stay slightly lower than my stock setup when I take off from a stop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a newbie on this site and I don't want to start a huge contraversy -but I'll tell you what a past GM/Ford powertain engineer put out as his observation about CAI's....

The auto manufavcturers spend millions on powertrain testing year in and year out...
if your G6's airflow path was truly substandard then GM would, in all likelyhood would have "straightened" out the problem. They need every .1 of mile they can get just to meet those ever increasing CAFE standards....no, I'm not paid by any of the car companies though I do do some contract test driving out in this part of the world from time to time.

To be brutally honest in MOST cases CAI's are young guy's Sat night parking lot wood factor increasers. If you are seriously looking for any power increases you need to to get the following info from whoever provides you with the inside scoop on the latest hot CAI kit that gave 'em .2's and 3mph at the strip...you want to see their before and after time slips and the before and after dyno w/O2 sensor runs print outs....anything less as Dr. Kaku put's it, is just "word salad". Don't even get me started on "vortex" inserts and electric fans...I'm not interested in wasting my time, your's or anyone else's. IF any of those "power increasers" actually did ANYTHING for your G6 in terms of a measurable increase in power output, it means you had a serious part failure or degradation somewhere on your air intake routing in the first place. Even altering the air pressure "profile" into your engine sensors' air stream can EASILY cause losses in engine power output. Oil air filters....sorry guys, don't use 'em. Just change your paper element OFTEN...the foam/oil setups out there don't filter finely enough and that's not getting into oil migration onto your engine's air/O2 sensors. I know, I'm no fun...just telling you like it is...if you really want eye/ear candy well, it's your G6 and of course you're free to have fun with the car any way you see fit. Best of luck...enjoy the car...I certainly l enjoy driving mine.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I can see your point. And I'm not going to debate. Personally my intake is part of a show factor. Plus it just makes the engine sound that much better. I'm aware that with any engine any changes you make can impact it negatively. But I also think with a little tuning you can get OEM running quality with a shiny growly intake, and a bit more power with higher octane... :D

But I do believe that an aluminum intake thwarts heat soak better and can make changes in ambient temperature more apparent while driving. Of course even the stock intake has a lower portion behind the bumper to get air from somewhere other than the engine compartment. But it just seems like all that small plastic tubing gives the air little room to flow and more time to get hot...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts