Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had something unfortunate happen yesterday evening. I've had my used G6 for about a month. I heard a clunk and then noticed the left front brake pads seemed to be rubbing. Luckily I was close to home at the time.

Got home and again, luckily my neighbor is a hot shot deisel mechanic with all the tools and floor jacks. He quickly found the problem. Whoever did the brakes before selling me the car did not properly tighten the bolts that hold the brakes to the rotor. One bolt was missing - presumably the thunk I heard - the bolt popping out and hitting the underneath fender. the other was hand tight. I was able to find a replacment bolt at ACE hardware. Bolt size M12 x 1.75. Only it didn't have a flange head, I had to use a lock washer instead. Once tightened properly things are smooth and fine again.

My question is, does anyone know what the proper name of that bolt is? the moron's that I bought the car from will be ordering me another bolt, just don't know what it's called. A brake caliber bolt?

Any help is greatly apprecaited.

·
Registered
123 Posts
mmm... the wheel studs and lug nut secure the rotor to the hub. the rotor is samwiched between the rim and the hub. the bot i'd imagine you are referring to it the one that holds the caliper bracket onto the hub?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes - hot damn - great pic dude. It would be the lower bolt with the yellow arrow.
Except in the rockauto pick the bolt looks shorter than mine. Mine is a M12 x 1.75
?? And didn't happen to see the pin, but would assume that part hasn't fell out since the replacement from ACE screwed right in.

Great forum. Thanks !!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.