Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Jimmy B.
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's what I'm thinking about doing to my intake. Bear in mind, I'm on a very tight budget and my car is still covered by warranty- so I don't want to do anything that can't be undone.
Right now I have all of the stock parts of the car.
I would like to get the Crabs system eventually, but like I said I'm on a very tight budget.
For now though, I was thinking that I would install a drop-in K&N or other performance air filter and remove the intake resonator and replace it with a Ram Air Intake that rams air from the grill of the car, as found at this link:
http://www.g6performance.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=27939&hilit=ram+air+grill

So here are my questions:
Is there an advantage to having a cone filter over a panel filter? If the answer is yes, then would it be possible to simply remove the top of the air box and put a cone filter there without getting a CRABS-like cold air box?

If I decided to stick with the stock air box, would using a heat-reflecting or insulating material, like found at the link below, work if I used it to cover the stock air box to keep it cool, essentially converting it into an enclosed cold air box with air being rammed from the grill?http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Reflect-A-Cool-Aluminized-Material-Design-Engineering_22120037-P_N3638B_P|GRP2039P____

Thanks for your input- your ideas and suggestions are welcome!

·
Registered
111 Posts
All i can answer for sure is that a cone filter allows more air flow, in some cases a drasticly larger amount....but im not sure about putting one on the end of the stock tube or that insulating material.

I was thinking about doin that ram air through the grill too, i think that would work out great.

Mike

·
4,060 Posts
I would not suggest removing that intake resonator if your using the stock box no matter what filter... if you want to remove it and use a ram air your gonna have to change to a cone filter so there is no chance that your intake sucks up water and stuff.

·
Slingin parts for Harry
62 Posts
All a cone filter does is act as a velocity stack, if you're forcing air into the intake via "ram air", a cone is pointless. To be incognito about it if I were you I'd run a duct from the grille up to the bottom of the air box, make sure everything is sealed at the bottom of the box. Also add a K&N to help with more volume.

·
CSU_trackstar
16 Posts
yo i did that with my car, but i ran it threw the passenger fog light. i just ran the hose from where the resonator was strait to the fog light, this way you don't have to cut like the instructions tell you to. but it is SUCH a pain taking your fender a part, seemed like a million pins but it had a noticable difference, and it seemed to add a little extra kick at higher speeds. i took out the fog lights a few months ago and ran the fog light switch to my underglow. ill take a pic and post it up here soon

·
Jimmy B.
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
All a cone filter does is act as a velocity stack, if you're forcing air into the intake via "ram air", a cone is pointless. To be incognito about it if I were you I'd run a duct from the grille up to the bottom of the air box, make sure everything is sealed at the bottom of the box. Also add a K&N to help with more volume.
I basically did what you said today. I did the grill intake and I'm going by the auto parts store tomorrow to get the new K&N air filter. I guess I need to be sure to seal the bottom of the air box next as well. I've got the details here:
http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7224

Lampoon-
I like your tiger intake idea, and I bet it works better than the teeny grill intake, but I decided to go with the grill intake because it's less conspicuous and won't hang out from under the car. Looking around at Lowes they had a lot of vents that probably would have worked well as the intake tho.

·
Jimmy B.
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've already gotten a +3 mpg improvement since installing the new intake system and the K&N filter I picked up this morning! I'm happy now

·
Slingin parts for Harry
62 Posts
I've already gotten a +3 mpg improvement since installing the new intake system and the K&N filter I picked up this morning! I'm happy now
Glad to hear :)

·
Jimmy B.
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
too bad my car got smashed by a truck just later in the day after I posted "I'm happy now" :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts