Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Heavy Modder
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought my 06 G6 GT (Silver) used and i got a REALLLLY good deal on it becaseu it had some scratchs on the bumper they are REALLLLLLLLLLLY thin. was wondering what kinda stuff i should use to buff the whole front and rear plastic bumper then something to put the shine and polish back.

·
Heavy Modder
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump^^^^

·
Registered
35 Posts
can you feel them with your finger nail? plastic is tricky becuase you can burn thru it alot faster, they are probly deeper then you realize otherwise the dealerships detailers would have buffed them out during pre delivery inspection. howver you can take theese steps..
3m rubbing compound buff at about 1800rpm if that wont pull it out then you need to wet sand with 2000 grit lightly go over it with 3000 grit and buff with ur compound followed by 3m polishing glaze. if your not used to working with buffers dont not attemp my steps take it to a detailer or body shop

·
Love my commute!
144 Posts
You can do it as long as they aren't all the way through the paint.

Don't use rubbing compound...unless you want your finish to be satin instead of glossy. Also, don't wetsand to fix a scratch unless you're applying touch-up paint first. Wetsanding should only be used to remove orange-peel and overspray or blend touch-up with the surrounding finish.

Polishing either removes the finish around the scratch until the finish is level or near level with the bottom of the scratch or rounds off the edges of the scratch so that the edges of the scratch do not reflect as much light, which makes the scratch less visible.

You need a good polish. I use Menzerna polishes. With a silver car you can probably get away with one stage of polish...darker cars usually require a second less aggressive polishing stage in order to get that mirror finish. You can not polish by hand well enough to remove scratches unless you are the Flash and have gorilla strength. You need a machine to maintain the speed and pressure necessary to generate the heat needed to break down the polish.

If you want to go low risk get yourself a PorterCable dual action polisher (was made to work on wood...but does great for car finishes). You can buy kits from most detail vendors online. The PC is a lot of work and a lot of passes. If you want higher risk but a faster job get yourself an rotary and teach yourself how to polish on some junkyard panels.

The online detail supply store I shop from the most is http://www.autogeek.net/

And you can find a lot of helpful info (including touch-up paint tips) from http://www.autopia.org/

Edit: For a beginner...I'd recommend taking it to a professional. Try to get a price on JUST the bumper. That should save you some cash.

·
Heavy Modder
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think im just gunna wait and save up for the AIT rear bumper. more expensive, but BRAND NEW.

·
Love my commute!
144 Posts
Probably not a bad idea.

I have been detailing for over a decade now (cleaning and waxing since I was around 10 years old helping my grandfather with his Olds 442 with diapers and Turtle Wax) and there are still times when I wonder why I ever became involved in such a profession.

I'm an accountant now and make the same as I would detailing...so I just use my own equipment on my own vehicles and every so often do a job for someone who has more money and car than common sense (around $400 for a regular size vehicle).

A fresh repaint and mount of a bumper from a quality bodyshop would be $600 - $1,000...so it wouldn't be money poorly spent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts