Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
05 GT 4spd auto w/ TAPshift (4T45). 98,276 miles. just had a tune up done with trans fluid flushed and filled.

Okay so recently ive noticed my tranny is starting to go out on me... I've got slipping going into reverse and hard shifts and what not. So my question is; Knowing that i will soon need my trans replaced would it be possible to use a different trans that offers more gears such as the 6 spd Auto (6T40 or 6T70)?

The main reason i ask is because when im on the highway in 4th my rpms are steady at 1,500-2,500 and i think with a 6 spd i could get some better fuel economy.

Thanks in advance.
Brad.

·
Registered
422 Posts
How much time and money do you have?
I ask because you are likely going to also need to change/tune the ECM and main wiring harness (among other things) assuming that you could even get it to bolt up with is very unlikely.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay I was just curious if one could be just used as an upgrade. Not neccesarilly wanting to do all kinds of work or anything. I was hoping it would have the same bolt pattern and that that good stuff. Looks like I'll just get a new 4 spd auto with tap. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i had first noticed the problems around 85k got the tune up at 95k

1 - 5 of 5 Posts