Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Y'all,
Not a G6 owner but saw one in action and I'm really wondering how it did what it did... It was damn impressive!

Was cruising back home from the annual Ferrari Club "Toy Run" for the kids at Childrens' Hospital in a Supra in the left lane on the interstate when a Pontiac came barrelling down hard from behind, lept over to pass on the right, and punched it to try and cut in front with maybe one car length worth of space in front of me or less and a truck in front of him so I calmly eased on the pedal a little to gently close the hole up a little more and discourage him without even downshifting and someone else got over behind me so the Pontiac ended up waaaay back in traffic pretty quick.

That was the only glimpse I got of the side and back of the car but that spoiler is unforgettable.

Finally a few minutes later the traffic thinned out a lot and I realized the Pontiac is back behind me a ways and hard on the gas closing the gap fast with noone between us and a nice empty stretch of road. I was gonna ignore him and let him fly past but my buddy in the passenger seat noticed and started giving me a hard time so I stuck it in 4th and floored it and it took 'till about the top of 4th and several lengths between us going away to finally stop the Pontiac from gaining anymore but then he got over to try and pass anyway as our speeds were pretty closely matched and then he somehow lunged pretty hard as if I was almost sitting still, like it was no big deal, and he stayed on it hard.
So I finally shifted to 5th as I finally checked the tach and saw it reading about 300rpm's into redline, and that was the end of the Pontiac as my Supra did all the lunging this time, but I was really suprised and how hard the Pontiac was able to lunge at such high speeds and how quickly it could accelerate on demand, especially at interstate speeds and beyond.

It was black and had the hammerhead spoiler and I'm 99% certain it was a 2-door although I only got a brief side view once.

I hope that's not coming across as arrogant. That's not my intention. I was really suprised to see it do what it did, and it did it very well overall I'd say.
I'm just wondering how is all...

I'm just trying to learn here really and my question is...
What sort of power is typically possible out of the highest powered top model of G6, did he maybe have NOS on it to be lunging like he was or does the engine like spray, is there a turbo kit or supercharger, etc, etc? I didn't hear a supercharger whine or blow-off valve and didn't notice a NOS purge.
Maybe it was really a G8, although it looked just like the G6 with the hammerhead spoiler as I recall.

The reason I ask is because my Supra is capable of pretty damn good lap times on road courses (not far behind a Z06 'vette), it can get into the mid 11's in the 1/4 mile with a 6-speed manual tranny and mph's fast enough that it should be in the high 10's if I ever get the suspension set right for drags and solve my wheel-hop problems, and it ran a 60-130mph competition recently in just over 10 seconds without a working boost controller... all on the factory turbos with just upgraded intercooler and exhaust.
Without a boost controller it typically puts right at or just over 400hp and similar torque to the wheels on a dynojet, and top of 4th gear is right about 128mph to give you an idea of the speeds the Pontiac was doing when I shifted to 5th...

The Pontiac website says 252hp for an '09 G6 coupe. So how did that Pontiac pull so hard? Where did that other 100-150ish whp worth of performance come from? I assume it's got a weight advantage over the 3,600lb Supra but surely not that much of an advantage?

Thanks for reading this and I'm eager to hear your replies!
Sorry to jump on your forums when I don't have a G6 but I enjoy learning and that G6 definitely sparked my curiosity, so I had to ask...

P.S. I know someone locally with a final year GTO with a bunch of mods and a pretty big NOS shot on it now and his GTO gives my Supra a good run and sometimes wins since he's added the spray but even his GTO can't play with my Supra like that G6 did over the weekend. Not saying that my Supra's the baddest thing out there 'cause it's definitely not. I've just been a 'yota owner for over 20 years now is why I have my Supra...

I don't go to the track much and don't play like that on public roads very often but if I'm already cruising at 10+ mph over the limit and you decide to ride my bumper for no reason with plenty of room to pass, the pedal will definitely go to the floor and stay there 'till either you pass me, you give up and back off, or your factory speed cut kicks in, whichever comes first... :)

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
Your in 4th....he was prolly in 2nd. He can stay in 2nd till ~80mph.

All I can say is go test drive one. You may end up trading in your Supra. :cool:

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Cool story, I would imagine this car had something. I will say that I am surpised at the acceleration the G6GT my wife drives has on the interstate (punching it from 70 MPH to 100 MPH). As a former Celica GTS owner I can understand your surprise too. There's no telling what this guy had. It could be a number of little things or one big mod. My quess is you saw a G6 GXP Coupe. I will say that the stock G6 V6 is nothing to shake a stick at.
I live in BR but the Orleans area was my stomping grounds when I was a thug. What area on I-10 did this happen?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool story, I would imagine this car had something. I will say that I am surpised at the acceleration the G6GT my wife drives has on the interstate (punching it from 70 MPH to 100 MPH). As a former Celica GTS owner I can understand your surprise too. There's no telling what this guy had. It could be a number of little things or one big mod. My quess is you saw a G6 GXP Coupe. I will say that the stock G6 V6 is nothing to shake a stick at.
I live in BR but the Orleans area was my stomping grounds when I was a thug. What area on I-10 did this happen?
Hey y'all, thanks for the replies!

Actually I-12 between Mandeville and Slidell.
He saw me cruise past him in moderate traffic in the left lane somewhere between Hwy 59 and 434/Lacombe, me just cruising in a cluster of random cars at 75-85mph like everyone else, and apparently he either wanted to play or felt like he had something to prove I suppose. Either that or he had some trick up his sleeve and thought he'd go beat up on a Supra, which I get a lot more than I'd care to and usually just ignore 'cause that's so not why I bought my car at all.
I'll be amazed if he didn't have something serious like a big shot of NOS to do what he did, especially at triple-digits, or is there some G8 engine swap or other BIG power adder he could've done? I know the Supra's a heavy beast but I prolly have nearly double the crank horsepower and torque his car should have according to the Pontiac website. So how'd he do it?

I remember seeing the all new 2000 Celica GT-S commercials on tv but was totally broke at the time so I stuck with my old 87 Supra instead...
The car I really wanted as a kid in school was actually a brand new 84 or 85 Celica GT-S Liftback, although the coupe was okay looking too... A slug by today's standards but back then look out...
I only ended up with a Supra because my very used base model '81 Celica GT was getting tired and the price for my first Supra (used) was in my budget at the time.
Your in 4th....he was prolly in 2nd. He can stay in 2nd till ~80mph.

All I can say is go test drive one. You may end up trading in your Supra. :cool:
I was already at 75-80mph and I can grab 2nd there too on my manual 6-speed but it's pointless really by that speed. I can also go to 3rd at those speeds if I really need a hard burst but the power comes on so quick and hard that the car gets sideways and I have to grab 4th a second or two later anyway. 4th is plenty adequate to get the twins spooled quick enough to haul some butt damn near instantly, and usually without the wheelspin that 3rd is guaranteed to get me...
Spinning 295/35-18's at 70-80mph in traffic may seem cool but it's not.
Also keep in mind as I said, I ran 4th well into redline (yes it still makes good power up there) unknowingly while watching the road and the Pontiac, which was 125-128mph and no big deal for my stock engine. By the time I noticed him coming up fast and grabbed 4th he was moving much faster than me but was really far back when I downshifted. We didn't match speeds 'till somewhere between 110 and 120 while he was still behind me.
I was well into my power band with the stock twins plenty spooled, just about tapped out of rpm's and he still was able to suddenly lunge hard on me from basically matched speeds 'till I upshifted and free'd up some power rpm's again. Then it was finally over.
His car performed a lot more like a G8 GXP than a G6 but none of the pics I've found of any G8 look like the G6 with that unmistakeable hammerhead spoiler so far.
That's why I'm asking, what the heck did he have in it, or was it not a G6?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Nice story.

Since it was a Pontiac and the spoiler was unforgettable, it probably was a G6 GXP...
but maybe it was a tricked out G8? But I think you know your cars and it was probably something special on a G6, and now I'm wondering, too... :rolleyes:

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
To bad you wern't farther west (past Covington) then you could have used up the straight road. Thanks again for sharing that story.
FYI if you ever come towards Baton Rouge drive the speed limit between Hammond and Denham Springs. Troopers, and I mean about three or four troopers sit on the side of the road in plain sight looking to write speeding tickets. They have a good thing going, I drive at around 75 MPH and they let me pass w/o stopping me. Its the damedest thing I've ever seen. I'll pass one then just a mile up the road you'll see another one then a few miles later one is writting a ticket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice story.

Since it was a Pontiac and the spoiler was unforgettable, it probably was a G6 GXP...
but maybe it was a tricked out G8? But I think you know your cars and it was probably something special on a G6, and now I'm wondering, too... :rolleyes:
I don't stay on top of every make and model but I have a photographic memory with a tendency to notice unique details, and a wing like that and the arrowhead are just plain unforgettable. So I wonder if it was a G6 GXP with a bunch of NOS, like a 100-150 shot or more? Does the V6 handle NOS well?

To bad you wern't farther west (past Covington) then you could have used up the straight road. Thanks again for sharing that story.
FYI if you ever come towards Baton Rouge drive the speed limit between Hammond and Denham Springs. Troopers, and I mean about three or four troopers sit on the side of the road in plain sight looking to write speeding tickets. They have a good thing going, I drive at around 75 MPH and they let me pass w/o stopping me. Its the damedest thing I've ever seen. I'll pass one then just a mile up the road you'll see another one then a few miles later one is writting a ticket.
I know exactly where you're talking about... I've seen 'em many times back to back to back to back in both directions and usually cruise past 'em around 79mph without getting stopped. My current roommate used to live at his parents' house in Sherwood Forest and I'd make the drive at least once a month to work on one of my older Supras and his Supra in their garage so I've seen the Troopers many times.

No hammerheads on the G8. It wouldnt fit or look good.
That's what I figured when I saw it on the Pontiac website but the guy ran much more like a G8 than a 250hp car. Does Pontiac rate 'em as crank or wheel horsepower? Crank, I assume?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Mike,
Do people Turbo or Supercharge G6's or use NOS?
I'm not the type of person that always wants to slap a shot of NOS and/or a charger on whatever I've got to crank up the power and try to go kick some ass. I'm just curious if anyone has done stuff like that to a G6?
I still run around town, go to the store, etc, in my basically stock (upgraded exhaust) 1984 Supra and I totally enjoy driving all 150hp of it. I've even cruised my antique 1981 Supra to a buddy's house 40 miles away for some weekend restoration projects several times recently. I just set the factory cruise on 75 in 5th gear (yes it still works!), crank open the factory sunroof, crank up the factory stereo, and enjoy the ride... When I want more power I drive the Twin-Turbo Supra instead.

4-bangers... yay... :)
I know you "can" get some serious power with certain 4's in a light enough car but...
I'm trying to ditch my 4-banger beater as we speak... 30mpg is nice but I'll gladly settle for 24-26mpg instead to gain 100-200 more hp now that it doesn't cost $75.00 to fill the tank anymore. I actually got 27mpg in the Supra several times, although I usually get 24with the a/c on unless my right foot gets a really heavy. ;) I've also gotten 9mpg (yes that's a single-digit) on the interstate in that car too, DOH! :D 164 miles on 15.9 gallons with 140 miles of it on the interstate cruising at 80mph. The previous owner had installed a "20 pound" spring on the wastegate that I didn't know about 'till I installed a boost gauge (Supras don't come with a boost gauge) and saw 20psi instead of the 12-16psi it should've been making at the most. I took that spring off the next day when we found it and it was kind of disappointing because it took some hard work to spin the tires anymore and the car felt slow but 20psi on the factory intercooler isn't a wise thing to do... A decent front-mount got some of the wheelspin back with a lot more power control on a lot less boost. :)

As soon as we get the fresh set of stock twins bolted up on my other Supra that had worn out and smoking twins when I bought it, flush the auto tranny, brakes, etc, and make sure it's in as good a shape as it seems with "only" 120k miles on this Premier Edition 93.5, I'm bolting on an aftermarket exhaust and a front-mount intercooler, the 4-banger's goin' away, and I'm commuting to work in that Supra instead.

Maybe I'll come across that G6 again on my commute... :)
If I see it again, even in my 4-banger, I'll try and get a better look this time and maybe try to talk to the owner and see what's up with it.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
From what I've read on this and other G6 forums the NOS is the easiest to add. But IMO, if I wanted a car to go that fast I would buy a fast car. Not that I'm apposed to mods but to me it's too much work.

·
Registered
90 Posts
lol almost thought it was me, but i'm not known for cuttin people off.
You were in my turf there ::D:
Go drive one, you'll be surprised. Coming from a sportscar background, i picked a g6 gt for a daily when my last daily bit the dust ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you happen to come across a dark green Supra 2 saturdays ago on I-12?
It's always possible that the G6 coming around on the right with no room to pass might've just been trying to get my attention I suppose... :)

The only daily I've ever had "bite the dust" was when Katrina turned my 19 year old daily Supra into a submarine after 11 years and 120,000 of my own miles added to the original owner's mileage, all because I listened to my boss and went to work instead of evacuating, damit. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Mike,
I'm with you. Althought it's easiest to add for cheap power I'm not a big NOS fan either.
Plus so many times guys do all sorts of power adders and never bother to think about the brakes... :eek: Hawk HP+ pads ROCK, btw!

After talking to a car friend about it twice who has a few hardcore drag racing buddies into big power 'stangs, 'vettes, etc and not actually being able to find the curb weight of a G6 anywhere on the Pontiac website, the general concensus seems to be a suspected moderate weight advantage with a big "wet shot" of nos most likely for the G6 to do what it did at the speeds it did it at.

I hope 08blackgt signs back on and shares some pics and verifies if it was him. It was a good lookin' car from what little I got to see and I'd love to see it up close sitting still sometime... :) As for it being his turf, there are plenty other cars in this neck 'o the woods that could easily leave both of us for dead on that same stretch of road. Fortunately I happen to know a few of 'em so they let me slide without whippin' up on my Supra in public...

I find it interesting that he's a new member with 1 post though, although maybe he was just lurking here and didn't feel the need to actually sign up before now? Let's hope we get to see some pics of his car.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
^^^^ Maybe so, I lurk sometimes but the police call it something else:D. Hey, close the blinds if you don't want me to look!:D
From the home page you can see how many ppl lurk on this site, a lot! But if they want to sign up they're more than welcome. You don't have a G6 but you signed up. I think that gives the site a bit of culture.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts