Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently underway on a project to upgrade the front door component speakers in my 07 G6. I have already installed an aftermarket HU with the metra DIC kit, as well as purchased the speakers (hopefully they are decent, they are JBL GTO609C) with an external crossover, along with a set of brackets/wiring harness. Also planning on adding in a sub, but that's not the focus of this post.

After tearing open the driver and passenger doors, I realize that I'm not entirely sure of the best way to install the crossover. I thought I would be able to use the original wiring but not I'm not too sure. I can't tell where the wires meet as the seem to go into the interior of the door.

A few of my questions:
1. Would it be easier to just put in the new speakers without crossover? Would quality suffer?
2. Is it possible to install the crossover in a fashion that makes it easy to remove? I'd like to replace the stock speakers when I sell the car. (or is it better to just sell the car with them?)
3. I have already installed the woofers just to test, and the performance seems to be pretty lackluster. Would it be an issue that the seal around the new harness isn't as tight as the original? The original speakers have a thin layer of foam between door frame and bracket, as well as a thick layer of foam on the top of the speaker touching the door grill.

Apologies if a question like this has already been answered, I have searched through dozens of forums from search results already and couldn't find anything for these.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
1: Install the crossovers, they came with the set so they're probably setup to sound the best (in JBL's opinion) with the crossovers. They also help to prevent unwanted frequencies from hitting the tweeter and hurting it, or keep the higher frequencies out of the woofer, causing just terrible sounds.

2: I installed my crossovers in the arm-rest area of the door. This allows me to access them by removing the window switches. It's up to you if you want to leave them in the car or not when selling. The size is pretty typical to fit most other cars. I noticed on mine I had to modify the area for my tweeter so it would fit properly. If I went back to stock I'd need to replace that part of the door panel. You can always add a premium sound system as a selling point. But then you have to start all over with your next car, so it's really a personal preference.

3: Yes, Seal the speakers and any holes or gaps around them or the wiring. That plastic film inside the door that seals up all the holes, make sure that's not torn or unsealed in any sections. You can easily take some packaging or duct tape and just seal up whatever you see open. When I installed my speakers I used Peel 'n Seal (lowes brand roofing crap that works just like dynamat) to deaden the ringing in my doors, not a necessary step, but I then used that foil backed duct tape to seal the edges of my speaker adapter to the door. Then I used Rope Caulk to seal the speaker against the adapter, as well as the adapter to the door before taping. I probably went overkill 9000 on it, but to each their own.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts