Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
If it were me, i wouldnt worry too much about adding an amp to these speakers, unless you decide to add a sub then maybe. Generally a deck will push them fine but an amp will push them more clear. Thats just my opinion and whay i hqve learned by doing prolly 10 diff systems

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what i was thinking. I plan on installing a new head unit to push a little more. Thank you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Np man. Thats what we are here for is to help each other. I just replaced my monsoon deck with a kenwood ddx418 that was given to me from my brother. I left the stock speakers and after adjusting the settings, i got it to sound better than the monsoon. I am pleased with it now. When you get your new deck, be sure to get the antenna adapter too or will be driving back to wally world to get it mid job lol. Be sure n do it yourself too. Its not that bad of a job. Takes abt 30 mins to take it all out. Also you will need to have some sort of stud on the back of the new deck. I had to make one to mount mine

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been hearing that you will lose the in dash oil life and what not. Do you know if there is any truth to that?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yea thats gonna be gone and that sux. You can however get a kit by Metra. If you use a single din deck, it relocates it below the deck and if you use a double you can get one that moves it to the glove box. Now who the hell wants it there i have no idea. But there are options out there to keep them

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel like there should be other ways around it, its not like putting a head unit in is something that gm thought would never happen ha. Is that the same for models that have it right underneath the gauges?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
if you use a double you can get one that moves it to the glove box.
No you can't. I only comes one way, for the single DIN to be mounted in the dash.

If you want to relocate the metra to the glovebox, you have to cut the top off of it and extend the wiring to fit in there. I did it with mine because it was the only way to have a DDIN and still be able to change the settings when I needed to without having to take apart the dash and put the stock radio back in.

If you have your DIC in the cluster, then there is no need for the metra kit, because the DIC is no longer part of the radio.

As for your speaker situation, whether you by an amp or not will depend on how much you want to get out the speakers. If they are loud enough for you without an amp, then there is no point getting one, put if you want them louder, you will need an amp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. And I plan on just getting the head unit and seeing if that pushes enough power.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Which was my answer to the speaker ? Too. I took for granted there was a kit for glove box mount because ive seen several ppl do it. Sorry for the misinformation. I am newto the g6 world and i wont and dont claim to know it all. So sorry again, my bad

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Don't sweat it
You could also get a newer G6 gauge cluster with the dic and the matching steering wheel buttons. Then you have to add a wire and the 2010 cluster and dic will work on older models. I plan to go this route... but not until my OEM stereo inevitably craps out... lol
It doesn't seem cheap and doesnt look to be all plug n play. But that's the fun of modding!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts