Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone mounted a radar detecter yet? If so where did you put it?
I cant seem to find a good place for it. The best spot is blocked by all the little plastic shade spots on the window to diffuse the light on the rear view
mirror. Needless to say it wont stick there. aaarrrrggggggggggggg

·
Registered
152 Posts
i put mine right above that light sensor on the middle front of the dash, and suctioned it to the window, make sure u leave enough room below it that it doesn't smack off your dash when you hit a bump.. also it looks clean this way b/c the cable goes straight down ur dash, down the side of the radio, and right into the cig lighter

·
Registered
488 Posts
thunkele said:
i put mine right above that light sensor on the middle front of the dash, and suctioned it to the window, make sure u leave enough room below it that it doesn't smack off your dash when you hit a bump.. also it looks clean this way b/c the cable goes straight down ur dash, down the side of the radio, and right into the cig lighter
doesn't it block the sensor causing the lights to come on??

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought it needed to be up high so it can view out the back as well....?

·
Registered
152 Posts
mine said the bottom center of the window was the best.. and besides.. seeing out the back doesn't mean much.. if u drove past the cop while speeding, you're already caught :)

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They come up behind you all the time around here (up Hwy 281).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mounting the unit up high is better if the cops use laser in your area, assuming you have a laser detector. I have mine in the same position as thunkele. That way I can grab it and stash it if I happen to get nailed for speeding. Your chance of talking them out of the ticket is less with that beeping in the background.. LOL

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have mine taped to the dash with double sided tape (just in front of the light sensor).

Ive never really been pulled over for speeding when I have it. Everytime ive driven with out one Ive gotten a ticket (3 times in the last 5 years in various vehicles..LOL) When I have had one in Ive only managed to get careless tickets. Radar detector doesnt do to well when they arn't running it but witness you light them up for a block or slide around a corner. LOL

·
Registered
46 Posts
As a member of the law enforcement community, don't use radar detectors. Cops don't ride around with radars on looking for people to pull over. Maybe troopers who are assigned turnpikes and highways do, but they're really only going to pull over a car that is excessively speeding. Don't waste your money.

Simple solution: don't speed.

However, before I was in this field, I had a different opinion and had a detector myself. I had it suction cupped to the middle of the windshield, all the way at the top near the headlining. It looks much better to run the power wire under the headlining and directly into the fusebox. This way it turns on when the car is started and turns off when the car turns off.

·
Registered
532 Posts
lrish said:
As a member of the law enforcement community, don't use radar detectors. Cops don't ride around with radars on looking for people to pull over. Maybe troopers who are assigned turnpikes and highways do, but they're really only going to pull over a car that is excessively speeding. Don't waste your money.

Simple solution: don't speed.

However, before I was in this field, I had a different opinion and had a detector myself. I had it suction cupped to the middle of the windshield, all the way at the top near the headlining. It looks much better to run the power wire under the headlining and directly into the fusebox. This way it turns on when the car is started and turns off when the car turns off.
Let me be the first to express my appreciation for the manner in which you posted. You could have easily left the last half of that off and probably gotten several rude comments but the way you have worded it was perfect. :) Thank you.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Sorry, I don't mean any disrepect towards officers in general but most police Officers I know (or can even think of) love to throw their weight around and rip on people for doing or having something that suggest or encourages breaking the law. It really does mean a lot when someone such as yourself shows us people in your field are human beings just like the rest of us. :) Half the time my radar detector goes off I glance down and realize I am not even going the speed limit but just a few mph under. I guess its just habit to make sure I plug it in everyday. LOL

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't have one now, but in my Z34, I mounted it up just above the rearview mirror. It was hard wired in, so I didn't have to mess with turning it on and off. However, it wasn't really in my field of vision, so it'd be going off without me noticing it.
If I get another one, I think I'll mount it on the dash in the far left corner. I could be wrong, but I would think you'd be more likely to get a ticket if a cop sees that you have one. Hopefully, in the corner, they wouldn't be able to see it very easily.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The way I drive... detector or not..If he managed to catch me screwing around...I deserve the ticket. :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
You can kinda see where mine is, just under the rear view mirror. I hard wired it in with the sunroof so it goes off with the ignition. By the way, I only use it for road hazard info and the compass. I've only gotten two tickets, one for running a red light and the other for unsafe lane change, sliding out the back end and burning the tires out for a good 50 feet on my Grand Cherokee during a U turn.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts