Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is my story.... I thought it would be a great idea to put a Kicker L7 in my 06 Coupe GT. I left the factory monsoon head unit and bought a kenwood amp that had speaker level inputs and tapped into the bass line running to the rear 6x9. Good Story... The Kicker slammed and sounded GREAT now a week later everything RATTLES!!!
-The Dome Light inside the car
-The Third Brake Light
-The passenger side door panel ( I think previous owner took it off and didn't put it back on all the way)
-and rear deck with 6x9s (only because the kicker box is touching the passenger 6x9)
-trunk lid

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to fix these! They are killing my sound lol Also, I want to take my rear 6x9's out to replace them but i can't get deck off!!

thanks
Karl

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Silicone the clear plastic piece to the dome light to fix that. Put fiberglass insulation behind the felt walls in the trunk compartment to dampen the sound. It will make it more clearly sounded as well.

Toy with the 3rd brake light. Idk what to say. Most of the stuff you just have to experiment with. Can't you just take off the grille insertions in the grille like the sedan to access the 6x9's or is the coupe different?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just when I thought I fixed most of my rattle boy was I wrong. The entire trunk lid shakes, rattles from behind the bumper, etc. and tonight I noticed my lights flicker. Fun stuff!!!!! I only have 400W RMS. I don't understand how others with larger systems deal with this.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
They use sound dampening liners, like I have, to reduce rattle. It's never perfect. It's just natural for the car to rattle from bass. That's why I'm glad that my sub kicks just right for me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my plan for removing the 6x9s are to raise them off the deck about a half an inch. This will give my kicker room to slide back into the corner of my trunk without touching the magnet on the 6x9. I am planning on using these thick rubber washers to lift them up. I am hoping this will eliminate the deck from rattling and give me more space in my trunk since the sub wont be in the middle.

I am not sure you can just pop the grill off the rear deck and get the speaker out..I could be wrong since i have never tried that.

This insulation, do you mean just pack in behind the carpet... I have heard up people using dynamat but i am WAY to poor for that lol If i use a clear silicone on the dome light, how to i change the bulb if it burns out?

Thanks

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
The silicone comes off easily. It's just a good buffer and flexible for that gap between the plastics. You use the insulation behind the walls. It would go between the metal and carpet in the trunk. You could fill the spare tire well if you want, but I didn't since I just stole some insulation from my attic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw the fat mat advertised somewhere and was curious as to how well it stuck and if worked as comparably to dynamat

·
Registered
18 Posts
i think is sticks fine i just clean my trunk lid with brake cleaner let dry an cut in little strips and go to town

just clean it well any brand will stick
what exactly did you fatmat? Just the part of the trunk lid that faces your when you open it? or did you put some between the gap in the trunk lid, like down in the slots? I was wondering because I wanted to fill that airspace in between the two pieces of the trunk lid with some insulation as I feel I have alot of rattling coming from there. I had thought about some kind of foam/spray on insulation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts