Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have an 05 G6 and I just started to notice that I have a really loud rattling noise coming from under the hood. It gets louder when I rev my engine. When I open the hood, I looked at the timing belt and it seems to be wobbling back and forth, like it's not completely in place. I'm wondering if the chain is going bad.

If this has happened to anyone else, does it sound like the timing belt/chain? Or something else? Does anyone know approximately how much it costs to replace?

Thank you,
Peace<3andG6.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i am not a mechanic by any means i just tinker as a hobby but where are you looking? because i went out and looked at my car same engine and all to see if i could see the timing belt/chain and all i can see in the serpentine belt on the left of the engine, if that belt is wobbling that would moreless be where the noise is coming from.

i would start by removing ur belt and inspecting each one of the pully's for any kind of play if they wiggle then that would be the problem by what u described

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you're right. It must be the serpentine belt then. It's the belt to the left of the engine. But then it sounds like it's coming from everywhere around the engine, even over by my tires. So I'm not sure if it's coming from deep inside or if it is the belt wobbling.

From what I can see, I think G6s have a timing chain instead of a belt. Maybe the chain is loose? I don't think you can see it from just looking straight into the engine. I've heard they're extremely hard to get to and replace, so I'm guessing a mechanic would have to be able to tell if it was that.​

·
Registered
22 Posts
From what I have read, if your G6 is around 100K than generally the chains start to loosen up. Someone posted that it took them 4 hours start to finish to replace it.
Then again I luckily haven't had this issue yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, just my luck, I went and got it looked at and it's the back right catalytic converter. Asked them if maybe it was just the heat shield. Nope, it's coming directly from the cat itself. Looking at $900 as there's only one dealership in my town that even has the part. And of course, my warranty just expired.

Woopie! :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
dont ever buy from the dealer unless u have no choice they are pro scammers/retards i think someone already posted the part# buy it off the net save some money and then have a friend dad guy next door who has the tools put it on for u if u cant find help take it too a muffler shop i promise u will save atleast 350$$$ <---this crap adds up lol if you were around denton texas i would be more than happy to load up my tools and fix it for ya but anyways im glad it wasnt a major prob

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had that same rattling sound but turns out it wash just a heat shield. If you havent check that out before blowing 900 bucks lol

Sent from my MB855 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts