Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
New here, BTW: a great site.
Sorry for the long post.
My wife has a 2008 G6 GT, her brakes started to pulsate a while back, took the car to the dealer and they said that they need to be turned, all 4 and would cost $160. I said ok. Got the car back and was ok for about 1000 miles and started pulsating again. So I took off the rotors and had a guy at the parts store turn them. He said he didn't think the rears were ever turned and the front had a strange pattern on them. He turned them and I put new pads on and all is great.
My question is that rear rotors had these two clips on the studs holding the rotors on. Must be from the factory, Would the dealer put new ones on? Because you have to brake them to get them off. I don't think they ever took them off. Need to know because I want to write a letter to the dealer and GM.
Thanks in advance.
-quadcells

· Lifetime Member
3,805 Posts
I didn't have to break them. I twisted them off and reused them.
But to answer your question, the way I see it is, if it's on the car it’s on there for a reason. If the dealership removed something they should replace it. Dealerships aren't engineers and they are not qualified to tell you what your car does or doesn't need. They (dealerships) follow manufacturer specifications (from engineers) only.

· Premium Member
5,786 Posts
They arnt needed....they are put on at the factory to help hold the rotor in place while they mount the calipers. They are made to be one shots and you have to usually pull them off with some snip type pliers. Most places dont replace them to my knowledge as its a build helper and not needed on the rotor.
I dont have any on my car anymore. Zero issues.

Instead of turning them you might invest in some better ones. They are crap anyways and wont last past 45k or so.....(usually).

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for you input.
Yea why would they only put the rear ones back on and not the front ones.
When I do brakes I replace the rotors too, but this car is only 2 years old with 42k on it. Rotors are very thick too. If they warp again I will replace them. Besides the brakes I think it is a great car.
-quadcells

· Registered
411 Posts
Manufactures (especially GM) are good for putting things on the car that are not needed. In my career I see many things that are one time use and non-replaceable all the time. Manufacturers like to put things on while building then later on decided it was unnecessary to keep on the vehicles.

· '06 G6 Convertible
40 Posts
I agree with Lampoon, it isn't usually reliable when you turn the rotors. Even though I have not had to work on the G6 brakes yet I will be replacing not turning.
When the brakes start to pulsate this is usually because the rotor has warped. It most likely warped because it wasn't able to dissipate the heat very well. I live in a small mountain community at 6500' elevation. The ride of the "hill" eats brakes. On my Tahoe (with 212,000 miles on it) I have found that the best quality from Napa and OEM pads have worked the best and lasted the longest.
I will not be re-using the clips either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.