Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a strange gas/oil smell from the rear of my car over the last few weeks after being parked, I decided to have my mechanic check it out and he told me both my rear struts are bad, basically he told me they're leaking and not lubricating themselves. I don't feel like I have any suspension problems.

Can struts ever have a smell similar to gasoline or a strong solvent? I smell the gas plus more of a chemical smell.

Are there any options besides replacement for the struts?

·
Registered
25 Posts
+ 1 to the previous poster!!!

One of the first repairs I had to make to my G-6 after I bought it from the impound lot for a song and dance was the fuel pump. Im not sure what GM was thinking when they designed this but its a pretty common problem if you spend some time going through the forum. If indeed this is a problem its one that needs your undivided attention ASAP!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you probably do have leaking shocks, but that's most likely not your problem. It's a really common problem lately , that the plastic hoses above the fuel pump are cracking and leaking. Might want to check that out.
How can I check on the lines? Would I need to drop the fuel tank?

The smell is more like WD-40 than gasoline though..

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Its sounding more like leaky shocks. You would have a strong gasoline smell if its the lines. It leaks on the pressure side. You would have to drop the tank to take a look.

Have you tried removing the rear wheels and inspecting the shocks? Looking for any rust spots or holes... could also be a blown seal near the top.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The crack in my elbow on the top of the fuel pump was bad enough that if I immediately put it on a lift after driving a bit I could see gas dripping from off the gas tank and exhaust system. I noticed too before the repair to the gas tank I was having some difficulty in getting the engine to fire up. It would but only after some effort. Gas mileage went from about 16 mpg to 22 mpg after the repair.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the shocks and they are leaking a little but they look and feel find when I drive, the gas smell is getting stronger and I can definitely tell it's a gas smell now when I walk up to the car.

I think there was a link to a part on ebay in this thread but I can't find it, it was something for the fuel pump that could be the issue?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to bump my old thread, the gas smell is back. I am thinking it's that elbow piece on top of the fuel pump, someone linked me to the part but I can't find the link now, anyone have the link.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Be careful driving if gas vapors are escaping. Might want to just take it to a repair facility asap.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Driving with a gas leak is dangerous. Take it to some mechanic and tell him/her you have a gas leak. Don't want to be driving and burst into flames.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Driving with a gas leak is dangerous. Take it to some mechanic and tell him/her you have a gas leak. Don't want to be driving and burst into flames.
There is no gas leaking, just vapor fumes, at least as far as I know.

I was linked to a part before that was around $55 and looked like a rubber elbow, I thought this was the part but I can't seem to find it anymore.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Vapor fumes are explosive :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well shit then I am lucky to be alive. I only smell the gas every now and then, it's not a constant leak but I don't want to blow up or anything crazy.

Are there any guides on how to drop the gas tank? Will I need any special tools? I am going to run the car down to E an drop the tank ASAP.

So do I need a new pump too, or just the to assembly? I found a pump for $297 at AutoZone but it's Airtex. Can I buy just the plastic hose?

Should I make sure this is the issue before dropping the tank? I think wthere is that fuel vapor box back there too, and my other thought was maybe a leaky gas cap?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
My G6 is GM Certified, I read in another post that this part is covered under the 5 year 100k warranty, but I am not seeing that anywhere.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
I had a gas smell when driving my old grand Prix. Turned out to be a spark plug that wasn't torqued down. Maybe check the spark plugs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts