Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to others in the past who have shared their related experiences.
(a) I wrapped my parking brake cables at the rear bracket.
(b) I shyed away from replacing the rear sway bar rubber bushings so far, for fear of twisting off those 10 mm bolts behind the fuel tank. When installing my snow tires and wheels, I did notice a small (few mm) gap between the sway bar and rubber ID, so wondered if that was the cause of the knocking or clunking noise that sounded like something was really loose in the rear. At highway speeds, neither the squeak nor noise was noticeable - only at lower speeds, and varying, pothole surfaces. My car is at 217,000 mi.+. As others noted, this is quite annoying, so I took a spray can of silicone lube underneath, to search again for a cause.
With my head in the center underneath the sway bar, I noticed it was quite close to the welded box frame between the fuel tank and muffler. It also had tell-tale rust dust in the area. So I reached up and was able to rub the sway bar against the box frame and make a metal-to-metal squeak. I wondered if I was onto something. I fetched spiral wrap for wiring harness: the mid size: about 3/4" wide, for ~ 3/4" diameter loom. (Flat wrap, not corrogated.) I had to use 2 screwdrivers to pry the sway bar away from the frame, to be able to wiggle & wrap about a foot length along the section where the bar runs parallel to the frame.
So the current happy ending to this lengthy story is that during and after a 600 mile (dry road) trip to visit kinfolk, not only the damned squeak but the loose-part clunk did not occur, when slowing for meals and breaks.
For Your Information.

·
2007 gt retractable
355 Posts
Thanks to others in the past who have shared their related experiences.
(a) I wrapped my parking brake cables at the rear bracket.
(b) I shyed away from replacing the rear sway bar rubber bushings so far, for fear of twisting off those 10 mm bolts behind the fuel tank. When installing my snow tires and wheels, I did notice a small (few mm) gap between the sway bar and rubber ID, so wondered if that was the cause of the knocking or clunking noise that sounded like something was really loose in the rear. At highway speeds, neither the squeak nor noise was noticeable - only at lower speeds, and varying, pothole surfaces. My car is at 217,000 mi.+. As others noted, this is quite annoying, so I took a spray can of silicone lube underneath, to search again for a cause.
With my head in the center underneath the sway bar, I noticed it was quite close to the welded box frame between the fuel tank and muffler. It also had tell-tale rust dust in the area. So I reached up and was able to rub the sway bar against the box frame and make a metal-to-metal squeak. I wondered if I was onto something. I fetched spiral wrap for wiring harness: the mid size: about 3/4" wide, for ~ 3/4" diameter loom. (Flat wrap, not corrogated.) I had to use 2 screwdrivers to pry the sway bar away from the frame, to be able to wiggle & wrap about a foot length along the section where the bar runs parallel to the frame.
So the current happy ending to this lengthy story is that during and after a 600 mile (dry road) trip to visit kinfolk, not only the damned squeak but the loose-part clunk did not occur, when slowing for meals and breaks.
For Your Information.
spraying those bolts with pb blaster the day before MAY keep them from breaking.good stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts