Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2005 GT and I have worn out 4 tires on the right rear. Two were replaced by the dealer under warranty and each time I was told that the alignment was to spec. With my newest tire beginning to show the same wear pattern I took it to an independent alignment service. The owner told me that the spec for the G6 is for negative camber on the rear wheels with a slight toe-in. This would correspond to the wear pattern that I am experiencing.

Has anyone had a similar problem? I wonder if resetting the car to 0 degrees camber with an average load (slightly more than 1/2 tank of fuel) and no toe in will eliminate the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
555 Posts
how soon does the tire wear? if more than 7-10,000 miles pass then your not rotating your tires. have you been rotating every 5-7,000 miles? rotations should be done with every oil change or every other depending on how often you change your oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still confused.

Tires have been rotated every 5,000 miles. The wear patter shows up before that time period. I still question the specification of negative camber and a toe-in condition on alignment.
:beer:

·
Registered
606 Posts
If the alignments settings are wrong, then all the the G6 and Malibu's would have your same problem, they all have the same specs.
I ran a Malibu 44 K, never aligned, rotated about every 5-8 K and traded with factory tires still on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It could possibly be a stubborn spring or shock absorber at that location. If the k-constant is not correct then it could be applying too much force to the tire regardless if it is aligned correctly. I believe it was too loose you would feel it. Check the spring and the shock and compare a load test to both the left and right rear suspension.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Take it to an alignment shop. They will tell you what the problem is . You can fix it yourself or have them fix it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts