Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has an 05 GT and I noticed the tires wearing on the inside so I took it for an alignment at my favorite shop...(not a pontiac dealer). While doing the alignment, the tech called me in and showed me that he could not get the rear end into spec. He showed me that he was at the end of the adjustment available and he was still out (specs are -1.3 and her car is at -1.6 left and -1.7 right). Then he said watch this...and he lifter on the rear of the car slightly...car came inot specs on the computer screen. It's as if the rear springs are too soft.

Has anyone else run into this? Are there any after market springs that are stiffer? Is there a Rear Camber kit (I know there's one for the front)?

I also noticed on a SAAB 93 that the rear wheels have a lot of camber to them...maybe it has been a design problem from day one.

I'm on my second set of tires at 63,000 miles! I'm getting tired of replacing them (pardon the pun).

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also had the eibach springs installed n the shop also said they couldn't get it all in spec it was the rear left tire that they had an issue with...it looks pretty slanted and on my second set of tires now... they def need to make a camber kit for the rear assuming that they no way to fix this other then going back to the factory springs... i even installed KYB struts and shocks n it didn't effect the camber at all...

·
Registered
606 Posts
My wife has an 05 GT and I noticed the tires wearing on the inside so I took it for an alignment at my favorite shop...(not a pontiac dealer). While doing the alignment, the tech called me in and showed me that he could not get the rear end into spec. He showed me that he was at the end of the adjustment available and he was still out (specs are -1.3 and her car is at -1.6 left and -1.7 right). Then he said watch this...and he lifter on the rear of the car slightly...car came inot specs on the computer screen. It's as if the rear springs are too soft.

Has anyone else run into this? Are there any after market springs that are stiffer? Is there a Rear Camber kit (I know there's one for the front)?

I also noticed on a SAAB 93 that the rear wheels have a lot of camber to them...maybe it has been a design problem from day one.

I'm on my second set of tires at 63,000 miles! I'm getting tired of replacing them (pardon the pun).
How often do you rotate tires ?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
With lowering springs the rear wheels will be about .5 - 1 degree out of alignment.
On stock springs you should be within specs. Check with a dealer or another shop. There are a lot of different kinds of alignment racks and a lot of mechanics have different ways of doing it.

I know they sell spacer plates for the rear hubs for the saab to purposely make the camber more negative, But if you put the spacer on differently it'll make you go more positive. But I personally don't trust putting spacers on the hubs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm having the same problem. I'd ran in the ditch and hit a deer, and I thought that may have moved it somehow. I went to where I bought the tires, and same thing, you could see it leaning in on the top, and the inside edge of the tire was worn to the cords. Alignment tech. said he couldn't correct that with shims, etc. and said I should check with a body shop. Now I don't have the money for the tires(now not covered my mileage warranty) or the alignemnt, and my brother(so nice) is letting me use his car. I hope to find an easier/inexpensive fix. Thanks.. Pat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts