Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day group - ... I purchased my G6-GT back in March of this year. Got ALL the bells & whistles on her. I call her The Oracle. Black with black leather, panoramic sunroof, Monsoon system, remote start, etc... I virtually have not one complaint, BUT this one:

I have the reoccurring problem of having to reattach or refasten the plastic air dam/foil (beneath the front bumper area) into its plastic housing. It's construction is undeniably cheap first of all. I knew the car sat low when I purchased it. I now avoid parking blocks like the plague. Any subtle scrape on ANY material & as soon as I realize it, I am back on the ground backing out the cheap plastic molly-screws only to reattach the air foil & again tighten the molly-screws until the next encounter.

You'll pardon me if this has already been posted, but I couldn't locate it anywhere. I have considered replacing the molly-screws with a stronger material, but didn't know if alteration would void the warranty.

I haven't taken it into the dealership since my first dealership encounter (the day after I brought her home). Examining the heat shield under the hood, I found what appeared to be a finger hole in the shield. Note to self - always examine every-thing before it leaves the lot. I could only imagine the dealership telling me to be more careful & avoid scraping the front end of the car. Heck, the car is so new - I wanted to spend some quality time with it, even though I was on my back beneath it in lieu of behind the wheel.

I know, I could replace the plastic pieces with something stronger while at home & change it back to the plastic parts when it goes in - - but who has the time to do this just to satisfy the warranty issue?

Sorry, I am very long winded. If anyone has any helpful suggestions I would be most appreciative. :eek:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've popped mine back on twice as well. Curbs are a menace, so I have just made a habit of parking a few inches back from where I "want" to park. Took me twice to "feel" that distance, though. ;)

Replacing the fasteners with something more substantial may very well cause an unintended side effect -- breaking the air dam rather than allowing it to pop loose. If you fix it in place, with no give like the current fasteners allow, it's likely to snap the plastic.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've pulled up too far once and mine popped off. My husband cracked up and said he had been wondering how long it would take that to happen, but the good thing was it was easy to pop back on. I have since tried to pay a little more attention when I park. You would think it would stay on a little better though. My Z-28's never popped off.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Robyn the airdam on the Z28 was made to take the punishment ;) mine scraped all the time. LOL

I first noticed this issue on my G6 after the first snowfall. Its held on by cheap plastic screws so it just goes right back together. Hopefully it wont cost much to replace...ill probably need a new one after this winter.

·
Registered
152 Posts
haha.. it's inevitable.. i've put mine back on about 3 times.. just gotta be careful i guess.. wait until we lower our cars.. bumpers are going to be smashed haha

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's sort of a relief to know that I am not alone in my misery... no offense gang! Remember when cars used to be made to last - at least past their warranty period(s)?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something to keep on the back burner then; I'd hate to imagine how much $ to replace that piece of plastic...!?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Mine first popped after I drove through an freshly plowed section of road and hit the snow (which was still pretty high). It hasn't been the same sense.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bob G said:
I could be wrong but I think there might be a TSB on this.
TSB... "T" Service Bulletin...??? :confused: :doh:
Well, nonetheless... the reason that I'm bringing this back up is I went to tighten the hardward/plastic ware attaching the dam to the underside of the car & found it GONE! Now, this brings up a new question - what is the real purpose of this flimsy piece of plastic; who else has either lost or purposely removed this piece; & any ideas as to how much it would cost to replace it? :eek: Thanx forum!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ragingfish said:
technical =)
Ragingfish~ Thanx pal. Now I need to search where to find the TSBs... :rolleyes:

Well, as fate would have it I returned to a location where I parked in a particular spot two weeks ago only to find - yes - the piece of plastic that I'd lost somewhere on the road between here & there. What a stroke of luck!!!

Now I will re-attach it & the game begins again. Still I wonder why it isn't more sturdy a material & does it really do the job it was intended to do? :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
This happened to my wife's G6 Gt a couple days after she bought it last June. She took it to the dealer and they reattached it with metal bolts/fasteners. No more problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The air dam has a flaw in the design. The plastic sleeves that attach to the main piece are too much bigger of a diameter than the drilled holes they fit into.

I work at GM and read the TSB about this problem. The dealer should fix this under warranty. I did it myself. The TSB involves 2 new parts, J-nuts and metal screws with attached metal washers. I had to buy a bag of each at the dealer, and they cost about $13 for the parts since I didn't want to bother with the dealer fixing it.

To fix it, you need to detach the air dam and the main piece of plastic it attaches to (splash shield).

This is held on by screws around the bottom of the front bumper and 2 plastic tabs.

These screws that hold the main bottom piece are the same ones used to fix the air dam.

The J-nuts go in the bottom piece so that the metal screws can have a metal surface to attach to. You need to drill holes to the side of the attachment holes so that the J-nuts can be slid into[/IMG] the plastic bottom piece. I did not have a drill bit big enough, so I enlarged the holes I drilled with a round file.

Here is the TSB from the service manual.

Subject: Lower Air Deflector is Loose (Install Screws) #05-08-111-005A - (11/21/2005)

Models: 2005-2006 Pontiac G6

Built Prior to August 15, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2006 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-08-111-005 (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment that the lower air deflector is loose.

Correction

Measure 14 mm (9/16 in) from the existing holes (center and both outer) and drill a 14 mm (9/16 in) hole in the engine splash shield. Refer to the illustration above for the location of the new holes.
Install J nuts in the three holes and attach the air deflector with three screws.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description

Bolt

(Sold in package of ten)

Nut

(Sold in package of ten)

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

B0485
Deflector, Front Air - Replace
0.4 hr

Add
To install J-nuts
0.2 hr

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I was going home on leave in 2005 my air dam flew off going 80mph on I10. When I got home I went to the dealership down the road and they refused to replace it under warranty and told me it would be around $535.00 to replace it. After that I started going to the dealership in Pensacola and now two years later I ask them about it and they replaced it free of charge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Need to replace my front air dam/foil. And cant find it anywhere online, dealer, willl replace for 150 USD i call bull! any help team!?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts