Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Transport Canada (the Canadian version of the NTSB) has just issued a safety recall on the '08-10 G6 for a shifter cable locking tab breakage problem. That is an expansion of an NTSB-issued recall which only affected the 09MY & was only on 4-speed automatic tranny equipped cars. I don't know which transmissions are affected by the Canadian recall but I'll try to find out. The NTSB has yet to issue an expanded safety recall in the US, but I know those tabs are breaking on more than just 09MY vehicles.

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/SEARCH/RecallDetail.aspx?lang=eng&mk=3229!5359!1896!4804!6128&md=MALIBU&fy=2010&ty=2011&ft=&ls=0&sy=0&rn=2012307&cf=SearchResult&pg=-1

http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3480&stc=1&d=1348128329

Attachments

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
An expanded shift cable recall has just been announced in the US. If you already had your shift cable replaced, GM will reimburse you for that repair if you can produce a receipt.

Note that the recall only applies to 4 speed tranny equipped vehicles.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm?rcl_id=12V460&searchtype=quicksearch&summary=true&refurl=email

Report Date : September 21, 2012 at 03:23 PM
NHTSA Campaign ID number : 12V460000

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
CHEVROLET / MALIBU 2008-2010
PONTIAC / G6 2008-2010
SATURN / AURA 2007-2010
Manufacturer: General Motors LLC Mfr's Report Date: SEP 18, 2012
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 12V460000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:GEAR POSITION INDICATION (PRNDL)
Potential Number of Units Affected: 426,240
Summary:
General Motors (GM) is recalling certain model year 2007-2010 Saturn Aura and model year 2008-2010 Chevrolet Malibu and Pontiac G6 vehicles, equipped with a 4-speed automatic transmission. On these vehicles, the tabs on the transmission shift cable end may fracture and separate.
Consequence:
If the tabs were to fracture and separate, the shift lever and the actual position of the transmission gear may not match. The driver would be able to move the shifter to 'PARK' and remove the ignition key, but the transmission gear may not be in 'PARK.' The vehicle may not be able to be restarted and the vehicle could roll away after the driver has exited the vehicle, resulting in a possible crash without prior warning.
Remedy:
GM will notify owners, and dealers will install a retainer over the cable end or replace the shift cable as necessary. This service will be performed free of charge. GM has not provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact General Motors at 1-800-521-7300.
Notes:
General Motors safety recall number 12106. Customers may contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or go to www.safercar.gov.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Another shifter cable recall and nearly half a million cars affected.
My friend told me about it, and I was about to post something, but Thanks Greenman for all the info! Greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For most affected cars this just involves putting a clam shell over the existing clip to both relieve the stress on the tabs & prevent cable separation. Takes about 5 minutes. If the tabs are showing any sign of stress fracturing the whole cable needs to be swapped out.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Now I wonder if I need to replace all my stock engine parts, like the cover and intake so they don't also void my warranty...

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I would assume a CAI would be cause for voiding. At least they shouldn't plug in a tech tool and notice my tune, I hope.

·
Registered
54 Posts
if you know someone at a GM dealership take it to them while their working. that's how i was able to keep from voiding my warranty when I had my cougar with mods.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In March 2009 they had a recall for the cable going to the shift lever to the transmission. I received a recall notice in the mail, so I went to the dealer and had it taken care of.

I was wondering now if this is the same basic recall or do I have to take the car back to the dealer again.

This latest recall sounds like the one from 2009.

Does anyone know about this. I would appreciate the information.

Thanks to all.
Rob

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In March 2009 they had a recall for the cable going to the shift lever to the transmission. I received a recall notice in the mail, so I went to the dealer and had it taken care of.

I was wondering now if this is the same basic recall or do I have to take the car back to the dealer again.

This latest recall sounds like the one from 2009.

Does anyone know about this. I would appreciate the information.

Thanks to all.
Rob
Good point. It is the same recall it's just been expanded because more MYs we're failing. If they already replaced your cable or installed the clam shell over your clip you're good to go.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2008 Pontiac G6 and I called my dealership. They said they don't know anything about this recall. And no recalls are listed for my car. So I called GM. And they said that I need to wait to see if I get a recall notice in the mail.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have not yet. But I was just at the dealership for a control arm the day the recall was announced. On my receipt they wrote "checked engine and transmission linkage, no issues found" but I didn't ask for that. I will call tomorrow to see if that was recall related.

Side question. I have a GT with the old school power steering, they replaced my intermediate shaft cause of a clunking sound I was hearing that I thought was the ball joint. I don't think the steering shaft had anything to do with it since I don't have the electric steering. Were they just trying to get money from GM?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts