Pontiac G6 Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
On Tuesday my 09 G6 broke down, the shifter said it was in park but it was going in reverse. Turned the car off and it would not start again. Had it towed to my local garage, they found "shift linkage broke off transmission, repair grommet on shift linkage & reattach to transmission range selector". I picked it up on Thursday and paid them $235.00 and on Saturday the same thing happened! Could this issue be related to the recall in 09 and 12? I took my car to the dealer in August 2010 and they "installed transmission shift cable kit".

More info............
When I had my car at the dealer in May 2013 they "Inspected the Shift Cable, Cover Already Installed". If all this was done already should the shift linkage/cable have broken off the transmission like my local garage said? Should I take it back to the dealer? My local garage wants another $235.00 to replace the shift cable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My fiances car is not shifting right. She came home last night and when she went to put it in park, it would just go into reverse. I had her turn off the car, now the shifter will not move, the brakes are stiff and we cant turn on the car. She believes that its the same problem that the recall is for. Problem is, the gm said that it was already performed on this car before she bought it and there is nothing they can do about it.

I heard that if the recall is done, and the same problem occurs then they are still liable for it. Is this true? Last time this happened, she had to pay out of pocket, around $500.

·
Registered
452 Posts
No, GM will not warrant any defects in replacement recalled parts. My shift linkage cable was replaced under recall. 2 years later it broke and left me stranded. I took it back to the dealer and they confirmed that the failed cable was the one replaced by GM's recall but they won't offer any warranty on it. They suggested I pay for the repair (around $500) first and try submitting a claim to GM. I rather replace it with the old original cable than the new cable. The original cable already lasted for 5 years while the new one lasted for 2. It broke without warning. When I placed the transmission in 'Drive' it was actually in 'Reverse'. I stepped on the gas and the car backed up unexpectedly and almost killed someone. Now no one is willing to drive the G6 except me.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts