1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer is recommending a service at 20000 km that includes
Tire rotation and balance
Front Brake Service and Rear Brake service
Lube, Oil and Filter even though my oil life indicator is at 47% (they say that is inaccurate)

Is this a cash grab on the dealer's part or does the oil change have to be done every 5000 km and the rest of the services as they state.
This is leased vehicle which I don't think I will be keeping.

I am in the Toronto area, drive about 400 km /wk amybe 200 km highway and the rest city.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
109 Posts
rakeshs_ca said:
My dealer is recommending a service at 20000 km that includes
Tire rotation and balance
Front Brake Service and Rear Brake service
Lube, Oil and Filter even though my oil life indicator is at 47% (they say that is inaccurate)

Is this a cash grab on the dealer's part or does the oil change have to be done every 5000 km and the rest of the services as they state.
This is leased vehicle which I don't think I will be keeping.

I am in the Toronto area, drive about 400 km /wk amybe 200 km highway and the rest city.

Thanks in advance
hmmm... I woulld say the rotation wouldnt be a bad idea... but the brake service definately sounds like a cash grab as does them telling you the OLM is inaccurate. I mean a lot of people on here still change oil ron a regular interval but it you are on a lease go by the OLM, because after all that is what PONTIAC (not some dealer looking for some extra $$) says to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bigbengt67 said:
Mine's a lease car too. Rotating the tires will give you benefits, changing the oil early will not, and brakes should be fine with that many km's. Personally I stay away from the dealer for all that routine maintainence.
I had the tires rotated and balanced at 10000 km (again dealer recommended)
Do I need to have them done again?

Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
i've always rotated and balanced tires every 10,000 mi (16,000 km)...when i wouldn't, the life of the tires were significantly lower...considering the rotor problems with the G6, brake inspection is definitely a must...there's a noticeable difference in getting the oil changed every 3,000-5,000 miles (5,000-8,000 km)

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I agree that rotating tires every so often is a must since that costs maybe $20 while new tires cost >$100/each.

Oil change I'm not too sure about. In my opinion that if you use a quality name-brand oil you should be able to get at least 6,000 miles out of it. I had mine changed after about 6,000 miles though I didn't notice much of a drop in power.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i agree about making it to 6k...there have been several occasions that i have done that and i had no problems or performance loss...i currently drive between 200-400 miles a week on average...it's relatively dusty where i live and i've noticed that at around 3k, i notice a slight knocking in the engine..the problem is resolved when i get an oil change...plus a quart of Lucas at every oil change ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
rotating tires is good. your oil life indicator sucks. do you check your oil level every thousand miles? cuz not a lot of people do. you could also drive about a year if you go by the indicator, not a good idea. change your oil regularly. brake service? find out how much pad life is left. three milimeters is a def time to change them. do your rotors pulsate? cuz that would be covered under warranty..unless you need new pads. i also recommend having your throttle body cleaned, helps to avoid surges on acceleration.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
rotating tires is good. your oil life indicator sucks. do you check your oil level every thousand miles? cuz not a lot of people do. you could also drive about a year if you go by the indicator, not a good idea. change your oil regularly. brake service? find out how much pad life is left. three milimeters is a def time to change them. do your rotors pulsate? cuz that would be covered under warranty..unless you need new pads. i also recommend having your throttle body cleaned, helps to avoid surges on acceleration.
I'm all about maintaining your car. When the oil gets dirty looking (which is relative to me) I change it. What some engineers say to do vs what I do are two different things. IMO, you stay on top of your cars health it will be healthy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts