Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 Pontiac G6 Gt 3.5l V6. I have had it for 8 years with no problems. I recently decided to do an uphaul on the entire car. I have changed
brake pads,rotors,calipers,shocks,struts,front lower control arms, front driver side axle, alternator,throttle body,accelerator pedal,ambient air sensor,3 out of 4 O2 sensors, engine coolant temp sensor,canister purge valve,oil pressure switch sensor,thermostat,plugs,wires,transmission filter,transmission pan gasket,oil pan and gasket,serpentine belt,MAF(mass air flow)sensor. And that's not in order of changing things. But the last things I changed was MAF, throttle body and the acceleration pedal and now I'm getting the error message Reduced Engine Power and Traction Control. I bought an OBDII code reader. I have read several places on here about the wiring. I have been researching for weeks bout my car and seeing all the issues with these cars. I'm getting really frustrated with it. But I love my car and want to continue. Can someone please lead me in the right direction as far as where to begin with the wiring issue that causes the above error messages.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did u recalibrate the throttling sensor? Wiring at mass airflow sensor and coolant are on same circuit..fyi.
What do you mean by recalibrating the throttling sensor? And is the mass air flow sensor and coolant on same one as TPS(throttle position sensor)?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Seeing as you posted of having a OBDII scanner, Could you please post the code(s)if any? That WILL give members a much better basis to respond with meaningful suggestions.
Also is your new scanner capable of reading the BCM/ABS systems or just a basic engine/some transmission code unit?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seeing as you posted of having a OBDII scanner, Could you please post the code(s)if any? That WILL give members a much better basis to respond with meaningful suggestions.
Also is your new scanner capable of reading the BCM/ABS systems or just a basic engine/some transmission code unit?
The scanner I got does the 4 Sytems Diagnostic(Engine/Transmission /ABS/SRS )+Support for all 10 modes of OBD2. 4 in 1 live data graph + Real Time Battery Voltage Graphing +Data Stream Record & PlaybackAuto VIN +One-Click Lifetime Free Update via WiFi

As far as codes it started with P0420. That code is long gone and now it comes up with these codes in the pictures I am including. When driving the acceleration is sluggish but if I take and clear codes on scanner,I have scanner connected to my car while driving, as soon as they clear my car gains acceleration until the reduced engine power comes on again. I know when it shows that it means my car is in a safe mode. And the research I been doing alot of other owners have or are having same issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What do you mean by recalibrating the throttling sensor? And is the mass air flow sensor and coolant on same one as TPS(throttle position sensor)?
The coolant sensor and the intake air temperature sensor is on same circuit. The throttle sensor is a separate part. When you install a new one it needs to calibrate with the ECM. Maf on the 3.5l has five wires one is power coming from a fuse one is frequency coming from the sensor one ground one air temperature other is low frequency frequency tied in with the check engine circuit

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The coolant sensor and the intake air temperature sensor is on same circuit. The throttle sensor is a separate part. When you install a new one it needs to calibrate with the ECM. Maf on the 3.5l has five wires one is power coming from a fuse one is frequency coming from the sensor one ground one air temperature other is low frequency frequency tied in with the check engine circuit
Then no I didnt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found this online. Is this the same thing I would need to do?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes what you posted is what I have read. I installed a performance chip and when I did it damaged a wire for my maf. Long story short it made it look like my temperature sensor was bad changed that still same prob.turned or to be maf sensor shorted out because of it and thermostat was bad as well
.coolant sensor was fine but on some yellow wire as other the yellow mad sensor..check that you have 5 volts in a good ground and the frequency of u have a multimeter capabke

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes what you posted is what I have read. I installed a performance chip and when I did it damaged a wire for my maf. Long story short it made it look like my temperature sensor was bad changed that still same prob.turned or to be maf sensor shorted out because of it and thermostat was bad as well
.coolant sensor was fine but on some yellow wire as other the yellow mad sensor..check that you have 5 volts in a good ground and the frequency of u have a multimeter capabke
Hope u figure it out and yes my car went into safe mode when my maf was bad I'd ckear the code it rub ok for a short period then sputtering on acceleration drive me apeshit till i figured it out. Good luck I'm working on removing the speed limiter setting from 110 to none..😃

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I have a multimeter and have tested that several times. I am getting 5 volts and the frequency same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hope u figure it out and yes my car went into safe mode when my maf was bad I'd ckear the code it rub ok for a short period then sputtering on acceleration drive me apeshit till i figured it out. Good luck I'm working on removing the speed limiter setting from 110 to none..😃
Thank you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same issue for months, turned out to be a broken wire heading to the throttle body and a bad throttle body.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts